Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

Which pond air pump??

Discussion in 'Goldfish in the Pond' started by SuperDupper, Nov 13, 2017.

1. SuperDupper

SuperDupper Active Member

I’ve been wanting to set up a little stock tank for some new fish and the only thing I am having a hard time with finding (that is affordable, and I know the more expensive the longer it’ll last but I can’t pay $100+ for a aerator) a good air pump for it. It’ll be 100 gallons and I don’t know the difference from a commercial pump between other ones, are they better? Please help!

2. Ponder

Ponder Active Member

Since this is a 100 gallon tank, I would think that any aquarium pump that is made for that amount of water would work. If your tank is outside you can easily set the air pump on a concrete block or something similar, and cover both the pump and block with a plastic tub. You would need a heavy duty outdoor extension cord, but I think that any decent air pump would do the job. Make sure the entire cord and plug are completely covered by the tub and that those parts stay up on the block. You will likely need to weight the tub down to keep it from blowing off. A nice rock works well.

I have used one that way and had no problems with it. Just be sure it is well protected from the weather so it doesn't get wet. I drilled a small hole in the tub near the top edge to pass the air line through. Of course, that hole would be near ground level when the tub was overturned over the block. Not knowing your exact location in California, I'm assuming, maybe incorrectly, that you don't get a lot of snow, so elevating the pump and covering it should do the trick. Don't seal it in a container. Obviously, it needs a source of air.

KimA. and SuperDupper like this.
  3. shakaho

shakaho Well-Known Member

You don't need a "pond" air pump for a 100 gallon tank. As long as you have an external filter splashing water into the pond you don't need an air pump at all, but one for a large aquarium makes a nice addition.

SuperDupper likes this.
  4. SuperDupper

To
    me a tank is an aquarium (a glass tank) that is not what this will be. I was planning on just doing a sponge filter which is why I asked :)

5. SuperDupper

Thank you!

6. shakaho

shakaho Well-Known Member

Unless you are doing daily water changes, a sponge filter won't work very well outdoors.

7. SuperDupper

That is what I plan to do

8. Faebinder

Faebinder Well-Known Member

All submersible filters are a pain in the A$$. Taking them out to clean them gets old.

9. 218dhb

218dhb Active Member

I use an old tetra aquarium pump rated for a 70 gallon tank on my 400 gallon pond, it has worked 24/7 for 9 years. Great deicer in the winter and a great balancer at night when the plants are sucking down oxygen.