Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.
  1. Guest
    Friendly note from GFK. Please review this beginner guide for your fish.

Update & Question / The Buddha Asian Meditation Indoor Pond Aquarium

Discussion in 'All Questions from Newbies' started by Kayte, Oct 12, 2017.

1. Kayte

Kayte Active Member

So I think I did not think a piece of this aquarium build through and I need some advice on how to fix it. As you can see from the photos below, I have built the stand out of cinder blocks. And the filtration system is two planter boxes. Each planter box has a HOB filter on it that brings the tank water into the box filtering it mechanically with sponges. The planter boxes are full of lava rock and plants (pathos and lucky bamboo, possibly a lotus flower in each box). There is a slit in the front of each planter box in which the water spills out back into the tank. My concern is that on side of each the planter box sits on the aquarium glass brace. What I did not think through is the weight of the planter boxes when it is full of lava rocks, plants and water.
    IMG_1769.JPG

IMG_1766.JPG
    So I am thinking I need to add extra vertical support to the brace. I am thinking using a 4" x 4" post and painting it with pond shield and placing it under the aquarium glass brace under each foot of the planter boxes.

My question is this. Do you think this vertical brace is necessary? It would be so nice if it is not. If it is necessary, will my "fix" work? The last think I need is my planter boxes crashing into the aquarium full of fish. If my fix will not work, how do I support the planter boxes? I need an easy, elegant solution as (1) I am not too skilled in DIY and (2) I don't want an ugly fix.

And yes... I realize that the waterfall spillway could overshoot the tank onto the floor. If it even looks like that will happen when I fill the tank, HOB filters, and planter boxes with water, my plan is to cut a glass piece and silicone it along the rim of the aquarium in front of the waterfall spill way so the water bounces off it into the aquarium.

I thank you all now for your input.

Cheers,
    Keightley

2. magdela

magdela Active Member

It may be easier to create a horizontal shelf over the tank that you can rest the feet of the planters on. I would not use the tank as a structural support.

shakaho likes this.
  3. orangecrush

orangecrush Well-Known Member

I would use something such as a heavy plastic (water proof)cutting board to support the weight of the filters as opposed to the glass braces which were not meant to have any up or down pressure applied to them.

Good luck and happy fishkeeping, Jim.

4. Kayte

Kayte Active Member

I have virtually no DIY skills. So making a table in which the planters would sit on and the tank would sit underneath is not an option. In fact if I even could do that I don't think four legs supporting a table top that measures a bit more than the length of the aquarium would hold.

@orangecrush If I place a heavy plastic cutting board over the top of the glass brace would I not have the same problem? The cutting board would sit on the rim of the aquarium. Would the sides of the aquarium be able to support the weight planters when it is full of plants, lava rocks, and water?

Right now I am seriously considering getting some white PVC pipes and placing them vertically in the aquarium underneath the glass brace where the feet of the planters are. I don't plan on adhering them to the bottom and the glass brace of the aquarium. I think have them cut to a length so that the will fit snug would possibly work.

Anyone else with thought on how to solve this problem. Do you think I am on the right track? If not, do you have a possible solution? Maybe you think that the glass brace can hold the planters? That would be awesome. I really want to put water in this and start a fishless cycle. To be so close to having an aquarium I have been envisioning for a year now makes me impatient! LOL

Keightley

5. shakaho

shakaho Well-Known Member

I see a board (or is it a concrete piece?) on top of each end block. Cut two 2x4s that will reach from the outside edge of the left block to the outside edge of the right block. Fasten these to the board so that the legs of the grow beds will sit on the 2x4s.

You can also replace the lava rock with clay pellets or cycled glass hydroponic medium which are much lighter. If you have a continuous flow of water, the boxes shouldn't fill with water. If they do so, you should increase the size of the slit in the bottom of the boxes.

6. orangecrush

orangecrush Well-Known Member

How much do the boxes weigh with rock, water, and everything else? I have seen massive overhead sump filters that rest on the frame of the aquarium with no problem. Find out how Keepers with overhead sumps do theirs.

Good luck, Jim.

7. *Ci*

*Ci* Goldie Guru

If you could raise the concrete blocks on the ends a few inches (like add a 2" thick rectangular paving stone on top of each one) so that they are higher than the tank, then place a 2" thick board across to make a 'table' top, I think it would be strong enough not to bow in the middle. The board can either be as wide as the space between the legs of the planters so they straddle it, or two 2x4’s the the legs would stand on.

My initial thought was to add upright pieces of PVC pipes inside the tank for support as you mentioned, but I would fear a crack sometime in the future because you would be putting stress on both the brace and the bottom glass. It would not be worth the potential disaster.