Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

Types of rare goldfish breeds

Discussion in 'Goldfish Breeds' started by JEM Fish, Nov 13, 2017 at 1:43 AM.

1. JEM Fish

JEM Fish Active Member

Hello! I'm looking for an interesting, rarer goldfish breed which I could find online. A fancy goldfish preferably as I only have a 55 gallon, but I'm just looking for something out of the norm that anyone may know of. Id like to try keeping a new variety I've never seen, I'm curious to see if anyone knows of any strange goldfish breeds, thanks!

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

2. csoth1

csoth1 Well-Known Member

Personally I consider izumo nankin to be the rarest breed here in the US, with blue egg phoenix a close second since it hasn't historically been widely distributed. Both of which are bred and sold by @Jin (Zhao's Fancies) http://zhaosfancies.com/online-goldfish-shop

There's other uncommon breeds like Chinese pom poms, jikin, Philadelphia veiltails, and crown pearlscales but you can find them from a handful of breeders or importers.

3. JEM Fish

JEM Fish Active Member

Thanks! I'll be sure to look into those! I'm excited to get an interesting kind of goldfish!

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

4. steamboatpilot

steamboatpilot Active Member

Crown Pearscales are the wackiest looking (IMO) and still relatively affordabl. Bubble eyes, Izumo Nankin, Jikin and Tosakin are cool too.

5. Breann Thurman

Breann Thurman Well-Known Member

one thing to be prepared for is to pay a hefty little penny for these fish. Im looking into finding some high quality tosakin down the road myself

6. calico3

calico3 Well-Known Member

I really like celestials. Sometimes Dandy Oranda's carry a few and the rare LFS sometimes have them in.

7. shakaho

shakaho Well-Known Member

Just remember this. The "rare" varieties of goldfish have multiple mutations. The more mutations, the more delicate the fish.

steamboatpilot likes this.
  8. afnaveils

afnaveils Goldfish breeder

In North America, I would also consider the Bristol shubunkins as rare. Although they are easier to breed, there is a small number of breeders and the stock is also limited to one bloodline or two.

9. steamboatpilot

steamboatpilot Active Member

I want bristol shubunkins so bad but I don't have the right type of tank/pond for them yet. Did you see Zhao's Sierironiski, looks like another name for shubunkin, might make interesting crosses, or horrible, i don't know.

10. shakaho

The Sierironskis certainly look like London shubunkin to me. I'd like to know the difference, if any.

11. calicomj

calicomj Well-Known Member

I saw them too. To me they kinda look like crosses of the London and the Bristol with how the tail was. Maybe?

12. shakaho

I looked at some more pictures and I see what you mean.

13. Big Red

Big Red Well-Known Member

I'd consider the Chinese Pompom to be one of the rarest. My reasoning is that while breeds such has Nankin, Tosakin and Blue Egg Phoenix lack geographical spread, there are localised groups/clubs who keep the breeds going. I've scoured the internet and I came across one person in the UK who keeps Chinese Pompoms, and one person in the US who managed to find an imported pair. Other than that, I have no other leads. There must be individuals in Asia who are keeping a few lines going. Last year I decided to make my own by crossing a Chocolate Hamanishiki with a lionhead. This year, I put one of progeny to another lionhead to help stabalise a smooth back and egg-shaped body. We'll see how these fry turn out☺

14. orangecrush

orangecrush Well-Known Member

What types of Goldfish do you have previous experience with?

Jim.