Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

Thoughts on stock tank setup?

Discussion in 'Goldfish Gear' started by jmccoy62003, Feb 12, 2018.

1. jmccoy62003

jmccoy62003 New Member

I’m planning on setting up a Rubbermaid 150g stock tank using at least 2 sponge filters for filtration and a heater. For a light I have a 150w metal halide pendant leftover from a reef tank that I no longer have. Want to have a couple floaty plants and about 5 Ranchu I want to grow out. I was thinking the light would be plenty for the plants to grow and to color up the fish or do you think it would be overkill. This would be my first stock tank setup but a couple years ago I kept a couple Ranchu in a 75g tank with regular fluorescent lights on it. Wanting to get opinions before I make purchases to set this up.

2. Natasha.

Natasha. Member

Alright, I'll bite. The light would likely be overkill, and you'd certainly have to suspend it from the ceiling. That said, you could probably grow tons of floating plants for nutrient export, so you'd have to think about it. Maybe a tropical water lily would be an interesting choice to consider with such high light and the space available.

Certainly 5 ranchu would do very well with that volume, even more would be possible without compromising growth much in my opinion.