Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

Sunbathing Goldfish!?

Discussion in 'Goldfish Grooming' started by SimplyDez, Jul 12, 2017.

1. SimplyDez

SimplyDez Active Member

Hello all! I guess this is where I should put this question . . . Anyway, I was on Instagram and I saw this:

Screen Shot 2017-07-12 at 6.42.02 AM.png

I've seen this picture over and over, but it just hit me. There's foil under there. And so I got to thinking . . . do people really sunbathe their goldfish to get the colors to pop?

2. Heather

Heather Active Member

I've heard of people trying to get there fish "out in the sun" to enjoy some uv rays

No idea what the benefit is though

3. joe

joe Well-Known Member

sun light enhances the natureal color of fish. It also causes alage to grow which is a good food source for the fish to feed on. You have to make sure that you provide shading as the sun can quickly heat up the water. Make sure you have some circulation or airation going on to provide oxygen to the your system that is outside

SallImSayin and Big Red like this.
  4. SimplyDez

SimplyDez Active Member

But do you really need the foil? And is this a daily thing? And how long? I've just never heard of something like that and it's hilarious and confusing at the same time! lol

5. OC Ranchu

OC Ranchu Active Member

I put some of my inside whales in one of my outside ponds on sunny weeks for a day or two and put them back inside during the week when I can't be here to keep an eye on them. I have seen improvements in their health since starting this.

KimA. likes this.
  6. SimplyDez

SimplyDez Active Member

Nice. I have heard of putting them in a pond to increase the red color. In fact, the owner of the picture I posted has some BTs that she stuck in the pond for a month and their red was so vibrant afterwards!

7. shakaho

shakaho Well-Known Member

All my fish are in ponds. Currently, those who get sun stay under the lily pads unless I am feeding them. I think the brighter color of pond fish comes from nibbling on algae all day long.

OC Ranchu likes this.
  8. OC Ranchu

OC Ranchu Active Member

I also follow her on Instagram! She has some great setups!

9. Jgroc002

Jgroc002 Member

The foil was probably just for the picture to get the shimmer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. SimplyDez

SimplyDez Active Member

Ah, make sense!

11. Ponder

Ponder Active Member

Like shakaho's fish my pond fish also deliberately avoid the sun. I keep shade cloths over the pond all season and there are lots of plants in the pond which they take advantage of for shade. I have seen colors get more vivid when I move new fish out of quarantine into the pond, but it doesn't seem right to intentionally subject them to the sun when they obviously don't enjoy it very much. If I feed sinking food, they will avoid it if it falls into a sunny area and will only eat it as a last resort. Also, they actually can get sunburned if exposed to too much direct sun.

12. orangecrush

orangecrush Well-Known Member

I think the fish was put into a shiny metal bowl for photographic purposes only. I don't believe that the fish was put into a foil lined bowl to suntan.

Jim.

13. SallImSayin

SallImSayin ya Samaki

Beautiful!

14. prex

prex Active Member

It's just glass. Femke's pond is on a covered balcony and it's almost completely covered by plants so the fish aren't getting much sun. I know a few people with indoor fish who put them in a tub outside during a water change, but that's all I can imagine as far as sunbathing. Like other people said, goldfish don't like to be in direct sunlight. It terrifies them and causes a lot of stress. It does enhance color along with feeding on algae, but they need a retreat. It will also cause skin damage. It's necessary to diffuse sunlight through a greenhouse and/or shade canopy. Floating plants are good for them but if that's all they have, they will hide in them at almost all times.

SimplyDez likes this.
  15. SimplyDez

SimplyDez Active Member

I asked her. She said yes, they love it. She does it every summer.

16. orangecrush

Yes to what? What does she do every summer?

Jim.

17. SimplyDez

SimplyDez Active Member

Sorry. I asked Femke, the owner of the photo. She said that it is foil underneath a bowl. She literally sunbathes them every summer like that.

18. orangecrush

Seems very bizarre and a bit dangerous but hey, to each their own.

Good luck and happy fishkeeping, Jim.

Jgroc002 and OC Ranchu like this.
  19. SimplyDez

SimplyDez Active Member

I agree. I was a bit confused, hence the reason for my initial questions. Glad everybody said don't do it though! If anything, I'll put them in a pond with some plants or something they can hide under!