Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

Sun sun ?

Discussion in 'Goldfish Gear' started by Justintime, Oct 31, 2017.

1. Justintime

Justintime Active Member

does anyone use these filters the 302 ,303b , or 304 I’ve read a lot of reviews and watched a ton of videos and for the price they look to be decent filters any feedback would be great thanks

2. magdela

magdela Active Member

I've had the 304B for 2 years. If you like canister filters they do the job. I ran my 90 gallon tank with just 2 sun sun filters for 1.5 years with no problems. I found the filter floss sorta hard to replace. One canister stopped working after 1.5 years and the other one started leaking after 2 years. I cleaned it thoroughly and the leak stopped for now. I like the fact that the UV light is integrated. They are the right price, but not like the most amazing thing ever.

3. Cheyenne B.

Cheyenne B. Well-Known Member

I don't have one of these myself, but know several people that have. For the most part, they like them in the beginning, and then decide differently later on, usually due to leak issues. They tend to go to Aqua Clear's, which are way cheaper, in the end. I've found canisters are just more trouble than anything else.

4. Justintime

Justintime Active Member

I like the aqua clear a lot I have five of them but I like canister filters and the amount of media I can shove in them thanks for the replies my 55 gallon is drilled and used to have two canister filters on it pulling thru an under gravel filter I’m thinking of doing the same thing when I set it up

5. steamboatpilot

steamboatpilot Active Member

I have used the 304b and I think maybe 302, smaller one whatever the number was. For the price they work fine and you can get your tank setup and running without waiting to save enough money for an eheim or a fluval. I found the media baskets to be a pain in the neck to stack which is a deal breaker for me, I hate cleaning canisters already, i finish cleaning, put everything back together and the lid does not fit right, so i have to take everything back out and restack. The media baskets are pretty thin plastic and mine broke after a year or so. The flow rate is pretty low but no canister matches the advertised flow rate once it is filled with media.
    The good news is they are cheap, hold a bunch of media, the uv sterilizer is cool, setup and priming is easy. I never had a leak issue. My 304b was always noisy but most people report they are very quiet. My other one was very quiet.
    I have used a lot of canister filters, i was going to use an eheim for the 90gal i just set up but i just could not fork over $400 to to get the flow rate I needed when I already had a fluval fx5. The FX series fluvals kick ass. I have never had a problem with my cascade. Aqueon makes a canister now that I would like to try out but I have not heard much in the way of reviews.

6. Justintime

Justintime Active Member

Thankyou that was really informative I think I’m going too try one out and I also I found a new cascade 1000 for $50 think I’m gonna try that as a backup for my c220

7. steamboatpilot

steamboatpilot Active Member

Great. I'm frugal, like to experiment, and need instant gratification so they were great for me but I probably would not buy another.

8. Justintime

Justintime Active Member

I’m the same way

9. Justintime

Justintime Active Member

Bought the Penn Plax cascade 1000 for $50 bringing my 55 gal drilled tank home from my brothers this week and I’m getting the sun sun 303b for the 36 which will be going to my girlfriend for her tropicals thanks for the help

10. Breann Thurman

Breann Thurman Well-Known Member

Im running a 304b on my 90 gallon. It does the job for the amount I paid for it. Its not noisy, it holds alot of media. I like it for now. probably gonna get a Fx5 and then put the sun sun on my 40 gallon.

11. Justintime

Justintime Active Member

Yea I’d go top of the line if I were doing one tank at a time but my son and girlfriend both are upgrading with me so I’ll be buying at least 3 canister filters one for each of their tanks so I’m not going too be able too do that right now but down the road who knows and like everyone is saying might as well see if I like them for the price

12. Justintime

Justintime Active Member

And now the 303b is on its way also I think I am set now thanks guys now on to pick out an affordable 48”led for my new old tank found one pretty cheap it has moon light setting and regular thanks everyone

13. Breann Thurman

I have a..... Really nice light for deacent price. It's from I think beamworks or beam something. I love it.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

14. Justintime

Justintime Active Member

How long is the light ? Is it led and if so what setting does it have is it suitable for a planted aquarium? I have a lot of different plants now and am planning on a lot more in the 55 is there any way u can message me I’m looking at a beam works on amazon

15. Breann Thurman

It fits my 90 gallon that's 4 feet in length

16. Justintime

Justintime Active Member

I’m just now learning just a little bit about lights but I need one that is good for plants or I’m throwing money out the window

17. Breann Thurman

I tried plants with my fish. They always turned it into a salad.

18. Justintime

Justintime Active Member

Yea I buy at least 2 plants a week if it becomes a snack oh well I just scoop out the remaining crud n try again I’m starting to get a pretty solid collection of plants I can’t remember the names of lol but they are doing their job