Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

Solar Aeration

Discussion in 'Goldfish Gear' started by orangecrush, Jun 8, 2017.

1. orangecrush

orangecrush Well-Known Member

Has anyone used solar powered air pumps for your tubs/ponds and what were the results. If results were positive, what model did you use?

Thanks, Jim.

2. shakaho

shakaho Well-Known Member

I just looked up a few, and they don't seem to have adequate power and battery storage to run through the night when you really need them. If you get a portable solar system with a battery and inverter you can power a regular air pump.

3. orangecrush

I mainly want to use it in an algae/duckweed tub to keep the water moving to deter mosquitoes. I also read and heard that duckweed needs aeration.

Jim

4. shakaho

Duck weed does not need aeration. It prefers still water. Like floating plants in general, the stomata are on the topside of the duckweed plant so all gas exchange is with the atmosphere. Little goldfish will be happy to take care of the mosquito larvae for you. They would like aeration in the duckweed pond.

Great duckweed article.

5. orangecrush

Yes, little fish would "take care of" my mosquitoes along with my algae and my Duckweed which defeats the purpose of setting aside a tub to raise algae and duckweed.

Thanks, Jim.

6. shakaho

Actually, they get pretty big before they start eating the duckweed. When the duckweed starts to thin it's time to remove this batch of youngsters, and I always have more little ones. Mosquito dunks work pretty well and apparently harm nothing but mosquito larvae.

7. FishNation

FishNation Member

try mosquito fish, aka feeder non fancy guppies. i know this is a goldfish group but they would definitely munch on your algae and duckweed. guppies lived all summer in my outdoor plant pond with no bubbler and even bred multiple times for me. they will eat the larvae and are much more temp hardy than fancy guppies, i've heard them surviving as cold as 38F. They won't make the winter so catch as many as you can before then and store them indoors to culture out for next summer again.

8. shakaho

Mosquito fish from the duckweed tub easily wind up in goldfish/koi ponds where they reproduce like crazy and are almost impossible to get rid of.

9. FishNation

FishNation Member

if it gets cold there's mass die off. also some of the mentioned are tubs and would it be much easier to do population control there. its the OP's preference tho. simply stating what i do and that its worked for me many times

10. orangecrush

I appreciate the advice, however I would still like to know if anyone has used solar powered air pumps and what was the model and what were the results.

Thank you, Jim.

11. FishNation

FishNation Member

well, i haven't tried a solar air pump but i've used a solar pond fountain pump. It worked very well for the year that i had it (wire was chewed by squirrels) and i don't believe it lost charge at night. It was Gofurther GYD050 12V 5W Solar Powered Water Pump for Garden Pond .

12. orangecrush

Thank you, I was looking for a solar aerator that could be used for several different projects but this would definitely work for this application.

Again thanks, Jim.

FishNation likes this.
  13. muffluvin

muffluvin Member

Jim,

I set up a barrel to grow some duckweeds. I bought a cheap solar pump/fountain from amazon for about $15. Mine does not have any battery so when the sun is gone it does not work. Plus with a mediocre solar panel, it needs direct sunlight. But it works for me because I do not have any fish in the barrel pond. I put a quarter of a mosquito dunk to take care of the mosquito larvae.

I wanted to DIY a better system with a 12v battery, charge controller and a better panel but I realized I have to place the panel on the roof. I live in an apartment and I don't think the owner would grant me access to the roof so I just stick with what I have right now.

Below is a link to a video of my setup.
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BUXhqcOAg5L/

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

14. orangecrush

Thanks.