Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

Sick goldfish - bent and lying at the bottom of the tank

Discussion in 'Goldfish Clinic' started by Dennis and Simone, Jun 8, 2017.

1. Dennis and Simone

Dennis and Simone New Member

Hi All,

I have two goldfish which I got from a pet shop in February 2016. For about a year they were kept in a 60 litre tank (13 gallons), after which I moved them into a 240 litre tank (53 gallons). They seem to be growing nicely.

About six weeks after moving into the new tank, one of the goldfish started swimming erratically, in a corkscrew motion, darting around on its side or upside down. When it is not moving (most of the time) it lies on its side at the bottom of the tank, with its head curved towards its tail. It has no appetite - I was worried it was swim bladder but I can't get it to eat any peas at all. The other goldfish seems completely fine.

From the symptoms I thought it could be nitrate poisoning - at the moment it is between 10-20ppm, which I didn't think was that bad? The tank has lots of plants in it. Ammonia is at 0.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I am desperate to save the fish and stop it from feeling any pain! I do have a pond I could move it into, but I am worried that it would get eaten straight away, and want to cure whatever it has before moving it anyway, if possible.

Thanks

What is Ammonia Level? 0
    What is Nitrite Level? will check tomorrow
    What is Nitrate level? 15ppm
    What is Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH)? will check tomorrow
    What is Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH)? will check tomorrow
    What is the brand of test-kit used(strips or drops)? API drops
    What is your water temperature? 21 degrees celsius (70 Fahrenheit)
    What is the size of the tank (how many gals.) and how long has it been set up? 240 litres / 53 gallons, set up for 2 months
    What is the name and size of the filter(s)? Fluval 305 external filter
    Is there any substrate in the tank? If so how deep? and what kind (sand, gravel)? gravel, 1 inch deep
    How often do you change the water and how much? 30% every 2 weeks
    How many fish in the tank and their size? 2 goldfish, about 5 inches
    Do you use water conditioner(if so, what kind)? Yes, Waterlife Tap Water Safe when adding new water
    What do you feed your fish and how often? Pellets once a day
    Is there any new fish/plant added to the tank? if so how long is the quarantine period? No
    Is there any medications added to the tank? No
    Describe the problems you are seeing: example grains of salt on body, bloddy streaks, frayed fins, fungus, staying at bottom, not eating, etc? Symptoms as described above, listless, lying on side, head bent towards tail, swims erratically and in corkscrew motion, on its side, upside down. Maybe a pink nodule inside each dorsal fin but I'm not sure if this is new

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 8, 2017
  2. SquishBug

SquishBug Member

3. Carolina

Carolina Active Member

i would deworm with prozipro and dose with prime daily to combat insufficient bacteria. prozipro is fine on plants.
    Make sure you are getting all the debris from around the decoration/plants.

Don't be afraid water changes, it's the best treatment sometimes. I waterchange everytime i feed when something seems off. if water changes are too difficult, ask how we can make them easier.

PS whirling disease sounds scary, thanks for the info!

4. shakaho

shakaho Well-Known Member

You need to clean up your water. We recommend a minimum of 50% weekly and many do up to 100% weekly. Since you have only changed a little water at 2 week intervals, please change 50% every other day for a week to get rid of accumulated pollutants.

I can't say this will help your sick fish, which sounds beyond help, but cleaner water will avoid future problems.

5. Dennis and Simone

Hi all, thanks for the advice.

I often use the API master test kit and the ammonia and nitrite readings are always 0, with nitrates at 10-15ppm. I've been changing the water more regularly since I have been living back at the place where the fish are full-time. Since I posted this early June I have taken the fish out and put her in a hospital tank. The other fish is still in the main tank and seems fine. I treated her with Seachem's Metroplex for 3 weeks and she returned to being upright, but still swam completely flat and was darting around. She did start to eat again though which she hadn't done since she got sick. Towards the end of the treatment she returned to being flat on her side at the bottom of the hospital tank again. Since then I've given her 7 days of Pimafix +Melafix and she has started swimming upright, but normally vertically with her mouth towards the top of the water. She has stopped darting. I do think she has some kind of parasite rather than just being affected by any water parameters, as the medicine seems to help and the water measurements have always been good in her larger tank.

I'm just not sure what course of action to take next and what medicine to give her - I am in the U.K. so Seachem products are not readily available.
    The medicine I have to hand is Seachem's Kanaplex and I ordered Maracyn II (from the Whirling thread) but it's coming from the USA so not here yet. Prazipro is unavailable unless I wait a month or so to get it from the USA. Does this look like a suitable alternative? https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Garden-O...-Internal-Parasite-Fluke-Treatment/B002ZTNRVI

Thanks in advance

6. shakaho

shakaho Well-Known Member

Get Fluke Solve. The active ingredient is praziquantel. Your link didn't work so I can't evaluate that product.

7. Dennis and Simone

Thanks, I'll order some. On second look the product I linked to appears to be for discus so not suitable! Fingers crossed

8. Dennis and Simone

Hi all,

I gave her a dose of Fluke Solve on Tuesday and she seems to have deteriorated a bit since taking her off the Pimafix and Melafix (a bit more curved and tilted when resting), so I think I might try her on Kanaplex or Maracyn 2. Does anyone have any suggestions as to which medicine? They seem to solve similar issues based on what it says on the box.

Thanks in advance