Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

Shubunkin, Sarasa Comet and aquaponics!

Discussion in 'Goldfish in the Pond' started by woodworker, Jun 17, 2017.

1. woodworker

woodworker Active Member

I slowly moved my common goldfish back out to my above-ground pond a month or so ago along with a few small fancies. I stopped to take a couple pics of these two before I put them in. The Sarasa Comet is about 6 inches long. The Shubunkin is close to 7 inches. However, the Shubunkin is about twice as tall from the side. They are about a year old. There is no other hobby where $1.13 buys me this much happiness. (Shubunkin was $1.00 and the Comet was a 13 cent feeder fish!)

This year I have added a simple aquaponics setup for filtration. I will add more veggies in the coming weeks, but there are just 6 plants so far. The nitrates are already at 0. The fish are super happy and active. I am finding that the "common" varieties of goldfish are every bit as enjoyable as the fancy varieties.

I am dreaming of the day that Shubunkin is over a foot long. :)

Shubunkin 2.jpg Comet.jpg

bettasngoldfish likes this.
  2. shakaho

shakaho Well-Known Member

Please show us your aquaponics set up.

3. woodworker

woodworker Active Member

I will take a picture here when I get a chance. I changed it to a larger tub for more plants. Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate are all at zero. No water changes except for rain. The fish are all growing and super active. I add a tablespoon of Montmorillonite koi clay once a week for minerals, etc.

If I wasn't growing veggies, I would just rig up an algae scrubber screen above the pond that drips back into it. PVC pipe to a plastic screen. It would achieve the same thing as the plants, but I like getting free peppers from my goldies. :)

4. shakaho

shakaho Well-Known Member

I agree. Goldfish should work for a living.

Faebinder and woodworker like this.