Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

SEACHEM Prime and SEACHEM Stability

Discussion in 'Water Maintainence' started by Eric Locklear, Jul 12, 2017.

1. Eric Locklear

Eric Locklear Member

Hi all!! I am new to the goldfish keeping world and just got my first 8 inch broadtail ryukin on friday 7/7. I did lots of research and learned about the nitrogen cycle. Well apparently not enough. I used one of the bottles of instant start live bacteria, not sure what kind, and stocked my tank with 3 danios from the lfs. I kept lots of live plants in the tank and also kept the danios for 2 full weeks before adding the goldfish. I added him on 7/7 and during the weekend he immediately had an ICK breakout. I now figure it was due to the water quality and the stress from moving. I have him on medication and he seems to be doing much better today but now need to address the water issues. I have heard good things about both products but does anyone have any personal experience with these products? Never want my leonidis to have to experience anything like this again and is trully heartbreaking as it seems i am the cause of his current state. So back to my original question....anyone have experience with these two products? Good or bad.

Aquarium has lots of plants, amazon sword, dwarf hair grass, and some anubias. Tank is 40 gallons has one ryukin goldfish and two plecos. I dont have a water testing kit (yet) so really unsure of the water parameters. Have a HOB filter that slightly overfilters the water, a bubble screen, and have a heater arriving on friday to help with the ICK. Now that i understand the water concerns i am doing about a 25-30 percent water change every 2 days as it seems the once a week is not enough for this waste producing monster, lol.

Please any help you can offer is much appreciated thanks so much for your time!!!! :)

2. Shh-goldies

Shh-goldies Member

Hey there! I am new to goldfish keeping but not to fish keeping and have been a casual hobbyist for about 10 years; (just felt I had to qualify where I am coming from before I give any advise)

After reading your post it sounds like u are doing a great job, it is a lot of regular water maintenance/ changes to keep up with goldfish waste, I haven't figured out a way to get around it yet :)

Also it is my understanding (because I did almost the same thing u did to cycle the tank) that it truly takes a good 4-6 weeks to properly cycle the take to get enough good bacterial culture to handle large ammonia load.

I clicked on this like because it said Seachem Prime and stability. I too use those products and think they work well.

Finally I highly recommend testing your water, which it seems you are already headed down that path. It has been my experience that goldfish like a specific PH and too high or too low will stress them . Test the water that is coming out of your tap or well and make sure u understand what u are starting with. I've learned this the hard way.

Just keep at it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Ponder

Ponder Active Member

Prime and the powdered variety of that product, Safe, are both very good.

Goldfish will thrive in a large range of ph. You don't need a particular number. The important thing is to keep the ph stable and not have it jumping up and down constantly. If you are trying to maintain a certain level that is contrary to your tap water's normal number, this will be a constant fight and will be a great stress on your fish.

To me, kh is a much more important that ph. Kh is Calcium Carbonate, or basically, a measure of the alkalinity of the water. The kh level will determine whether or not your ph stays the same. The nitrogen cycle, which goes on constantly in your tank or pond creates acid, and that acid will use up the alkalinity over time and the kh will drop. If the kh drops too low, the ph will crash, potentially killing your fish.

To keep the level of kh up, just use common baking soda. The baking soda's ph is around 8.2 - 8.3, so the ph will rise to that level. That's no problem as long as it stays in that range, and the baking soda will help to do that. I tend to keep the kh in my pond around 200 ppm, but 100 ppm is good. My filter system works more efficiently with a high kh, so that's the reason I try to have it at that number.

You need a liquid kh test kit to monitor the level, and the baking soda should be used gradually, until you get the kh where you want it to be. Then it's simply a matter of checking it periodically and adding more soda when required.

Please also get liquid tests for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate.

Be aware that ammonia is even more toxic at higher ph levels, so be sure the keep Prime in the water when you are having any indication of ammonia. That's a good idea anyway, since any ammonia can be dangerous to your fish.

Best of luck with your fish. I hope you have years of enjoyment from them.

4. Justintime

Justintime Active Member

Hey how are you doing and how is your fish making out ? I use both these products and I like them I have 3 tanks with fish all of which are planted and my fish are healthy and happy, good luck