Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

Question about euthenization

Discussion in 'Goldfish Clinic' started by SirFrancisDrake, Dec 7, 2017.

1. SirFrancisDrake

SirFrancisDrake Member

I think I need to euthanize my sick goldfish. I have tried everything and now he can't even stay upright. I got clove oil and read up on the procedure. My question is whether to use Vodka or not. Posts I read say to put in the clove oil then when he falls asleep to add vodka OR more clove oil. I'm just wondering the difference. And how am I supposed to know when he's asleep since he doesn't shut his eyes. I also hate to move him from his home. He's in a 45 gallon tank- since he is my only fish could I just add it to his water?? Please I need advice. I'm heart broken but I can't watch him suffer.

2. Breann Thurman

Breann Thurman Well-Known Member

I would just use more clove oil. The procedure is quicker if you move him to a small container. You'll know when hes asleep by watching his gills. They should slow down and he shouldnt be moving when hes asleep and the gills stop moving when he passes on.

If i remember correctly alcohol burns the gills. which I consider inhumane

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  3. Ichthius

Ichthius Professional Breeder

I would take Some tank water, add a lot of ice to it so it is very cold and put the fish into that and then into the freezer. Painless, easy, sleepy.

Tank Girl and bkrhodesva like this.
  4. Totallyvictorian

Totallyvictorian Active Member

I agree with David...freezer. The only time I have used Vodka is with Prazi in the pond. ?

5. orangecrush

orangecrush Well-Known Member

I would put enough tank water in a small container, just enough to hold the fish. Stir in about 30 drops of clove oil, then add your fish. This should be enough to euthanize him. By using tank water , you’re not shocking him with extreme temperature changes. I personally would not use ice water as I find this rather inhumane. If you had the choice of being plunged into ice water and freezing to death or quietly and painlessly passing away in your sleep, which would you prefer?

I’m so sorry. Take care, Jim.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  6. Ponder

Ponder Active Member

I agree with Jim. To me, extreme cold is very painful. I think that clove oil is much more humane.

So sorry about your fish.

7. Breann Thurman

The only time I see extremely cold water useful is if you don't have enough clove oil. But even then you should sedate the fish first. I too see freezers inhumane for euthanizing a fish

8. calicomj

calicomj Well-Known Member

Yeah I wouldn't use the freeze method unless I had no clove oil. Alternatively, MS-222 works but it's more costly.

9. Breann Thurman

okay call me dumb whats MS-222? and how is it similar to clove oil?

10. calicomj

MS-222 is vet grade fish anesthesia. It can be found on a few sites for hobbyists, though. It's similar as it's the FDA approved medication for sedating fish. It's like $40 for a container of it. Clove oil is about $6. Clear difference.

11. shakaho

shakaho Well-Known Member

12. Ichthius

Most of my fish are at near freezing right now and they are numb and slow to react to even painful stimuli. They don’t know they are being frozen and once they are it’s over.

Plus no additional materials are needed.

This work is very similar to work we did at my zebrafish facility.

The freezing and ice formation issue is one of the most persistent web myths out there.

Tank Girl likes this.
  13. calicomj

Decapitate and pith is also considered humane, but oftentimes with pets... What the owner is comfortable with is also very important. So I wouldn't use either of those methods, but only because I feel weird about it, not necessarily because they are not humane.

14. Ponder

Ponder Active Member

On the page that shakaho posted there is a link to an article about clove oil.

Here is a quote from that article: According to our findings, clove oil is a fast-acting agent that minimizes the cortisol response to euthanasia

That would indicate that it doesn't stress the fish as much as other methods that have been mentioned.

15. Breann Thurman

I would feel really distressed putting my fish in the freezer and taking it out. I personally perfer clove oil. and would like to have the fish put under vs cold water shock.

16. Ichthius

Have fun.

17. *Ci*

*Ci* Goldie Guru

Put it in tank water temperature at first to avoid cold water 'shock'. Then put the container in the freezer and it will cool gradually. Fish are cold blooded - it is natural for their metabolism to slow down in response to their environment. They sink into torpor and die while unconsious. Clove oil or indeed any toxin placed in the water is potentially irritating to the gills and painful..

18. calicomj

Fish vets and associations say the clove oil or the "immersion" method is totally humane. There's nothing to suggest its painful. They don't thrash or seem in any pain at all.

When I had to do tumor surgery and wen trimming, the clove oil was the way to go. Again MS-222 works as well and works better but harder to find and way more costly so I had the clove oil.

I definitely can't say the sedation seems painful and if it were truly toxic, it would kill the fish or cause permanent harm, which I've seen nothing to suggest it does that.