Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

Plasti Mend?

Discussion in 'D.I.Y' started by Kayte, Mar 13, 2017.

1. Kayte

Kayte Active Member

I melted the acrylic of an aquarium that I purchased off of craigslist using goo gone spray gel in the attempt of getting rid of some silicone. The previous owner of the tank used the silicone on the seams naively thinking that is what was needed to be done. I naively thought goo gone would not do any harm. How do I know it is damaged? The crazing is well.. crazy. Take a look at the pictures. Since then, I have been trying to sell the aquarium as a lizard or snake cage but no one wants it. So I figure I will keep trying to repair it.

I did some research and found this product called Plasti-mend. The claim is that the product with "work by chemically melting an application of plastic resins into the existing plastic, creating a new layer of plastic bonded into the existing plastic. This, with a mesh embedded at the time of application, makes the plastic repair many times stronger than the original item." I spoke to the owner a few months back asking if it would be safe for fish. He said that this would be a new application for it but that it should be safe. People use it to repair drinking water tanks on RVs. I am thinking of using the black mixture on the side panels on the inside and outside and along the seams of the tank. The website address is http://www.plasti-mend.com/

What do you all think?

Cheers,
    Kayte

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
  2. Kayte

Kayte Active Member

No one has any thoughts?

Kayte