Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

Oranda x Ranchu spawn

Discussion in 'Goldfish Breeds' started by ranchu_nerd, Jun 22, 2017.

1. ranchu_nerd

ranchu_nerd Active Member

I'm currently new to this forum, but have been in the goldfish keeping hobby for about a year. I recently had my first goldfish spawn, very unexpectedly. The parents are a red ranchu from my local pet store, a blue ranchu from Dandy Orandas, and a blue/bronze oranda from Zhoas Francies. The fish spawned on June 10 and hatched 3 days later. Even though it is my first spawn I'm not a total stranger to goldfish breeding. I have done a ton of research on this topic. The eggs were laid in my 55 gallon aquarium. Unfortunately, most were on the floor of the tank, but some were on a plastic plant. I had know where to move my 3 adult goldfish, so I couldn't save the eggs which were on the floor of the tank, but I was able to move the plastic plant into a empty 20 gallon tank. The fry are now around 9 days old and have been eating brine shrimp like crazy. I have been doing water change every other day with a length of airline tubing into a bucket. I have been filling up the tank with about 6 in of water. Right now I think there is only around 60 fry, but don't know the exact number. I plan to update on the fry's growth and development in about a week. When I do my first cull.

2. ranchu_nerd

I forgot to say that I will hopefully be selling most of the fry.

3. ranchu_nerd

Does anyone have any recommendations for what to look for in your first cull for ranchu or oranda? I don't know which fish fertilized more eggs.

4. afnaveils

afnaveils Goldfish breeder

I would hope that there is a male ranchu and a female ranchu. So, I'd wait a few weeks and cull all fry that show a dorsal or spike or any vestigial dorsal fin. This will lead to a mostly ranchu brood.

ranchu_nerd likes this.
  5. ranchu_nerd

Ok thank you. The red ranchu is the female and the blue ranchu is the male. I think the blue ranchu fertilized more eggs then the oranda male, thankfully.

6. ranchu_nerd

My fry are now 2 weeks old and are still living in a 20 gal. tank. I raised the water level to about 8in. Today I netted all the fry out and did a 100% water change. I counted a total of 58 fry, 40 did not have dorsal fins, and 18 did. I have not culled any fish yet, I plan to start this in a week. I know that my local fish store probably wouldn't mind having ranchu with a flag dorsals. If anyone is interested in flag dorsal finned ranchu please let me know. They will be a lot cheaper.

7. Breann Thurman

Breann Thurman Well-Known Member

I too currently have 4 week old fry. You could raise the water up more than 8 inches if you would like. I find the more water the better the growing fry do. Make sure you start prazi rounds. If you run into disease it can wipe out your entire spawn. Cull heavily as well. You don't necessarily have to kill any vanity culls. Perhaps grow them out and sell them to a local fish store.

8. ranchu_nerd

Okay, thank you. I have done one dose of prazi, but I will do another. I'm probably going to just give them away to my local fish store.

9. Breann Thurman

How often do you change water for them?

10. ranchu_nerd

Every other day.

11. Breann Thurman

awesome! raising fishies is hard work but rewarding. My little guys are getting 100% water changes every other day as well