Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

Oranda with Curled Gill Cover

Discussion in 'Goldfish Clinic' started by Cheyenne B., Jul 15, 2017.

1. Cheyenne B.

Cheyenne B. Active Member

I made the mistake of going in my local PetSmart for some cat food. Of course, I had to see the fish and fell in love with two oranda's. I had a 40 gallon breeder ready for some ranchu but here I am with oranda's. The calico oranda has a curled gill cover. The aquarium has been treated with Prime and aquarium salt. I plan to treat with Prazi Pro tomorrow. Could this just be a fluke? He seems healthy otherwise and is very energetic.

2. Breann Thurman

Breann Thurman Well-Known Member

Picture? I think it could just be a out turned gil cover. Common deformity. as long as the fish looks healthy I'd do a normal round of prazi just for prevention because you never know what those fish carry

3. Cheyenne B.

I can't get a decent picture, I've tried all morning. My lights haven't arrived yet, and picking him up right now really freaks him out. If my light ever gets here, I'll get a decent picture.

I'm doing Prazi today.

4. joe

joe Well-Known Member

curled gills are nothing to be concerned about so long as the fish is active an eating, it is genetic I would not breed the fish but other then that so long as it is healthy

5. Cheyenne B.

He has been eating like a pig since I put him in the tank. He seems healthy otherwise, just thought I'd better treat both with Prazi just because of the condition they were in, it was quite sad. I don't purposely breed any of my fish. I'm pretty sure they are both males so this shouldn't be a problem. Thanks for the input, Joe :)

6. Breann Thurman

I just saw your little video on instagram, and I read about the little calico. Good for you on saving him! hes so cute. I used to not really like orandas but now I have a appreciation for them.

7. joe

joe Well-Known Member

your videos are great very informative, that was nice of you to save the fish

8. Cheyenne B.

Thank you, I'll be filming a YouTube video about him in the next day or so. I was waiting for my lights to come in. He's doing so well right now, he seems so happy :)

9. Cheyenne B.

Thanks, Joe. I just want to help fellow fish keepers. I simply couldn't let such a beautiful fish live in a bowl the rest of its life.

10. Cheyenne B.

Here's a better look at him and his story:

11. Cheyenne B.

And if you don't mind, give me your thoughts on the breed of Enzo, the black/grey one.

12. Breann Thurman

Enzo looks like a younger oranda he could still be developing that wen. A lot of these pet stores sell fish at a insanely young age. Pretty much they color them up and then send them off. I have a calico fantail that I found at a Petco when I lived in California that was no more than a inch long nose to tail. He was just TINY. The guy next to me was buying feeders to feed his oscar and wanted to maybe get a fancy goldfish as a slow treat for later. He was looking at my now fantail. He was like that "that white one is pretty." I did butt in and say Im looking to buy that one for my tank. Now I have Callisto, a little black and white narceous fantail that actually looks more like a ribbon tail.

It baffles me how uneducated these places are. If i were that employee I wouldn't of sold them ANY fish. Not even a betta. They claim to have healthly fish and healthy pets. Yet teach so many uneducated people how to abuse them. Fish in particular. I cant blame the dad and the 5 year old. They too are likely uneducated. Its not rocket science to go to google and look up "how to care for a goldfish"