Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

Nice pond for ranchu hobby

Discussion in 'American Ranchu Society' started by small_ranchu, Jul 7, 2017.

1. small_ranchu

small_ranchu Admin Staff Member

2. OC Ranchu

OC Ranchu Active Member

I had my finger on the button to try out two of these and intimately decided I could build larger traditional wooden ponds for around the same. However I would still love to see an example of someone trying these out. I had emailed the manufacture about the material thickness and it was quite stout at .22" = 5.6 MM thick.
    Maybe if I run out of room. Shipping was not inexpensive!

3. GlassGoldfish

GlassGoldfish sculpting ranchu daily Staff Member

These have good dimensions. I have been finding that the black background makes it more difficult to evaluate the water quality and the state of the ranchu. A lighter background is important to me.

4. Breann Thurman

Breann Thurman Well-Known Member

Correct me if im wrong. But for like TVR's doesn't sand contribute to grooming them and then darker backgrounds bring will make the colors pop? I do like the dimensions of those, they would also be good for my butterfly telescope breeders. However I feel they lay too low to the ground.

5. OC Ranchu

OC Ranchu Active Member

I'm sure @GlassGoldfish will respond but I do not believe sand is used in any capacity. Ponds used in Japan are usually large, square, made of concrete and shallow. Those ponds at 13" would work well at 10-12" of water dept. Maybe shallower....I'm sure the master will correct me if I am mistaken.

6. Breann Thurman

I have been doing a kinda test and see how my low grade fry grow and color up with brown algae water vs my more high quality fry growing in sandbed, black background and LED light. Im looking at getting stock tanks myself. my only concern is being in the NW part of Oregon there are ALOT of predators. I want something thats predator proof.

7. Ichthius

Ichthius Professional Breeder

I think I'm one of the few/only? growing TVR on sand.

8. Breann Thurman

I'm doing my common shubunkin mixed babies on sand bed. They seem to be doing fairly well with it.

9. orangecrush

orangecrush Well-Known Member

If I understand correctly, you can support them with concrete blocks. I use 8"x8"x16" blocks and it puts the tubs/ponds at a nice height.

Jim.

Attached Files:

10. Breann Thurman

That is a idea..... Why didn't I think of that? Much of been the long week.

11. shakaho

shakaho Well-Known Member

I also use cement blocks to elevate shallow containers. I usually use a sheet of plywood over the blocks unless I am using a stock tank. I looked at the specs on your container, however, and that's pretty thick plastic.

For removing water whether for filtration or draining, I like a solids lifting overflow (SLO), commonly used in aquaponics. You can find lots of videos on how to build these. I've also made and used a retrofit bottom drain, which is popular with koi people, but the SLO works better and is safer for small fish.

12. Ranchutoo

Ranchutoo Active Member

Not to be an alarmist and depending on the fauna in your region, the 8" height oftentimes creates ideal homes for our other water friends ~ like snakes and raccoons. Boxing in the base might be a good idea, so that they don't set up a new habitat. I personally don't mind having other creatures, as long as goldfish are not on their buffet. Moreover, I prefer there not be surprises while I'm doing water changes.