Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

Need help, relocating to Florida

Discussion in 'Goldfish Conversation' started by Sbuggg13, Jan 12, 2018 at 4:36 PM.

1. Sbuggg13

Sbuggg13 Active Member

Hi Everyone,
    I'll start off with a backdrop for this relocation. I currently live in upstate NY. I work at a job that I am unhappy with, and that is mostly male driven, which in turn is resulting in sexism and I am mentally drained from this. I am tired of taking jobs just because they pay well. I am not happy and I would like to do something that makes me happy. Last week I sent out a few "what I thought were dead end emails" to places of employment that deal with goldfish. To my surprise someone called me back. My "dream" may have the potential to become reality now. Which is both scary and exciting. I've never moved out of state-let alone 24 hours from my family which is very frightening because we are a very close knit one. I told my fiance and after several days of talking he is on board. He works at GE and there is one down there that is right next to my future job. Which is funny to me the way that worked out. Here's the thing... I am chasing a dream of mine and I want it to be a reality. to be able to work with fish everyday would not be a "job" to me and with my fiance's income it wouldn't really matter the pay. I have been doing some research and alot of things I have read says Fl is very high in crime rate-this I was not expecting. I know it's ungodly hot for 9 months of the year, the hurricane risk and the job market sucks. I am looking to move around the clearwater/Tampa area and most likely on the outskirts of that so we won't be in the city. Does anyone live in this area or in Fl in general that can put some input on the living down there? How do you like it? did you move there or have you been born and raised there?

Thanks for your help!

2. orangecrush

orangecrush Well-Known Member

First of all, CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Contact Joshua's golds, he lives there. I also live in a high crime area but the worst thing to happen to me is someone breaking into my truck.

Crime doesn't have an address. Crime happens in every City of every State. Most victims of crime are criminals themselves. And for the rest of us, just be security conscious and street smart.

Good luck and happy fishkeeping, Jim.

3. Sbuggg13

Sbuggg13 Active Member

Thanks Jim, And yes you are right. We live in a safe area now, but if you drive 20 minutes to Troy, it gets kind of bad. I know that crime doesn't have an address, and to be honest it wasn't even on my list of concerns until I started going to forums and doing other website research and I was just taken back by all of the people that said the crime was high there. I guess i've always pictured Florida as a happy retirement community. I guess I was just being blissfully ignorant to the situation. Thanks for the congrats though! I am very excited, and very very nervous at the same time. I hope everything works out.

Sarah

4. Sbuggg13

Sbuggg13 Active Member

I think this would be the best thing for me as far as expanding into the market. I'm mostly excited that the fish will probably be in better health because they can stay outside in a natural environment all year round. I'm sure that does wonders for the health of the fish.

5. orangecrush

orangecrush Well-Known Member

It's always scary to make a big life change but at least you're not doing it by yourself. Plus there are several fish people in that area, check out Joshua McWilliams ( Water Piggies USA) on GFK or FB.

Good luck in your move and always happy fishkeeping, Jim.

6. Sbuggg13

Sbuggg13 Active Member

Yea I will have to get in touch with Josh and see how he does it. Thanks Jim!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk