Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

my planted setup

Discussion in 'Goldfish Pictures' started by wizard, Jan 31, 2016.

1. Smells Fishy

Smells Fishy Active Member

You must go through alot of repashy then. I don't feed mine it that often, probs 2-3 times a week. I freeze mine and I think its handy how it defrosted in about 5mins. Ah sweet potato thats very interesting! Hows that going for you? I feed my fish it all the time, its probs their favourite veg. Got some mighty fine peace lillys, miles better than mine.

wizard likes this.
  2. thePhysicist

thePhysicist Well-Known Member

Sweet Potato? o ____ o hm.

@Smells Fishy I also feed Repashy twice a day. The powder lasts a really long time. I've had this huge tub of powder in the fridge for about a year and it is only a 1/3 of the way through. Definitely worth my money.

@wizard I wish you were not so far...I would've talen your babies in a heart beat haha. I wonder if there is a way to ship eggs? You'd have to do it really fast though before they hatch...okay nvm too dangerous haha

ಠ_ರೃ thePhysicist

wizard likes this.
  3. DCSteve

DCSteve Active Member

My green monster fantail downs all the greens I give him then turns back to the plants. I have had most success with crypts.

wizard and Karthik like this.
  4. Brandonc41

Brandonc41 Member

Just seeing this and just wanted to say I love your set up. It looks awesome!

5. wizard

wizard Active Member

Thanks

6. wizard

wizard Active Member

Quick update...
    The tank has evolved quite a bit. Lost one oranda after a month away from country and have two new additionds a ryukin and a veiltail and this is how it looks today...
    IMG_20170115_214703.jpg
    20170115210449_IMG_1612.JPG
    20170115210519_IMG_1623.JPG

Side view
    IMG_20170115_214859.jpg

20161211084314_IMG_1191.JPG
    20161210211937_IMG_1133.JPG

7. thePhysicist

Still amazing haha! I shall reach your level one daaay! How do you combat algae?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

wizard likes this.
  8. wizard

wizard Active Member

Thanks... Its about the the right balance between light intensity, duration, fertilizer and the amount of plants in the tank. If the balance is right algae is not a problem. Also I have shrimps and otocinclus in the tank which eats algae.

thePhysicist likes this.
  9. calico3

calico3 Well-Known Member

I think I have a lot of work to do after seeing your set up. Its fabulous. Do I see some java ferns? What different plants do you have ?

10. wizard

wizard Active Member

Thanks...
    These are the plants in my tank currently...

1) Bacopa caroliniana
    2) Nymphaea lotus
    3) Anubias
    4) Cryptocoryne wendtii
    5) Java moss
    6) Staurogyne repens
    7) Cryptocoryne beckettii 'Petchii
    8) Cryptocoryne parva
    9) Hygrophila polysperma rosanervig
    10) Sagittaria subulata
    11) Vallisneria gigantea
    12) Hydrocotyle leucocephala
    13) Java fern trident
    14) Java fern Narrow leaf

thePhysicist and calico3 like this.
  11. calico3

calico3 Well-Known Member

Wow thats quite a list and for such a wonderful tank set up. I will look into these plants and see which of these are carried by my aquarium warehouse. Thank you very much.

12. dahling8

dahling8 Active Member

Beautiful tank. Are there any measurable levels of nitrates? How often/much do you do water changes?

13. wizard

wizard Active Member

Thanks...
    I never test my waters, so no idea what the nitrate levels are. When ever I see deficiencies in plant I add nitrogen based fertilizers. Slow growing Plants like anubias and java fern do not reduce nitrate levels. Fast growing plants like hyrophila, hydrocotyl helps reduce nitrates.I do water changes 50% every week or once every two weeks depending on my free time, no strict schedules.

14. thePhysicist

If I were to put little shrimp in my tank they would most certainly be gobbled up haha! I suppose they hide in your plants though. Thank you for all the information! Maybe you should try and make youtube videos!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

wizard likes this.
  15. chocky

chocky Well-Known Member

Beautiful tank :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wizard likes this.
  16. Buttercup

Buttercup New Member

Beautiful tank, however it's terribly overstocked. I'm new to this site, and quite shocked that no other goldfish keeper has mentioned that in this thread. I am certainly not trying to offend the op, however I think it's misleading to newcomers in the hobby to think this is a realistic goal. No problem if this were 90 gallons or more, but 55 gallons is too small for the bioload that is currently being housed in this tank. It was casually mentioned that the oranda passed, I'm assuming it's the large one in the earlier pics. According to my experience and the experiences of many other goldfish keepers I know, it would be nearly impossible to maintain good water parameters in this tank for an extended period of time. Unless you have a larger tank for the goldfish currently in your setup when they grow out, they will more than likely face the same fate as the oranda. Forgive me if you do have a plan. Again, I'm adding information based on years of experience, not trying to start trouble.

17. wizard

wizard Active Member

Thanks for your concerns. I am able to maintain good water quality because it is a planted tank and i don't breed goldfish. It is the same setup for more than 2 years and i have the same fish which have grown form 1-2 inch to 4 to 5 inches in the same setup. And i have a overhead plant filter as my bio filter, so i never have any issues with nitrates. They get fed 4 times a day with repashy, azayaka pellets and duckweed daily in moderate amounts. My fishes have never been sick and never used any antibiotics. Apart from 1 fish loss in 2 years, when i was in vacation for a month. And i never advice any newcomers on stocking and water quality questions, because i do a lot of stuff which a normal goldfish keeper never do and stuff that works for me may not work for others if not done correctly. Sorry if my post was misleading you. Here is a most recent picture. Sorry for the poor quality of the images. IMG_1709.jpg
    IMG_1711.jpg
    IMG_2026.JPG
    IMG_2031.JPG

18. KimA.

KimA. Well-Known Member

Happy looking fish. Good job!:)

19. Buttercup

Buttercup New Member

"Happy fish" don't die from being left for a month while on vacation.
    You feed 4 times a day and only perform 50% water changes every week or every other week?
    I keep planted tanks as well, however there are far too many places for poop and uneaten food to hide in a tank with rocks and other types of aquascaping...ruining the water quality and making the goldfish more susceptible to disease.
    Again, it's a beautiful setup, but a death trap for the goldies...especially as they grow larger.