Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

Mixing East Coast Ranchu goldfish with King Koi and Goldfish fish?

Discussion in 'Goldfish Conversation' started by Mint, Oct 13, 2017.

1. Mint

Mint New Member

I hope this is okay to post here (Im new). Just wondering if I can safely mix (after quarantine) ECR fish with fish from King Koi and Goldfish?

I know that ECR fish come from near sterile environments and KKG fish are imported fish, but KKG fish go through several rounds of meds during their quarantine period. So would it be safe to have them in the same aquarium or does this mean I will have to buy another aquarium? xD

Thanks!

2. OC Ranchu

OC Ranchu Active Member

I would never mix King Koi goldfish with anything else. There is basically no QT with Richards fish.

3. Mint

Mint New Member

4. OC Ranchu

OC Ranchu Active Member

Its a long story. I'm just going with what I've learned and information from talking with other customers. You asked a questions and I'm giving you my honest answer. ECR are best left to themselves as Cynthia recommends (contact her on the matter). I have fish from both of the sellers you asked about. I love my ECR and even my little grow outs that are not so small anymore. I even have some of the ECR outside in a pond and they are solid. As far as mixing them with KK.......Never in a million.

5. calicomj

calicomj Well-Known Member

Fish never exposed to anything can't handle anything. Same as sheltered kids. Never catch anything young, become sickly adolescents and adults. With that being said, if you buy from a vendor knowing those rules, you really should follow them. There's a reason. In other words, mix the fish at your own risk.

6. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Do not mix them. The very good thing about ECR fish is that you never will experience any of those nasty diseases that we all have to deal with from time to time with the imported stuff.

7. maileen22092

maileen22092 Maileen

ECR are ridiculously sensitive, so mixing them is a bad idea, mine didn't last too long once he passed QT and put in my tank. That being said, my KK&G fish is still doing great months later now living with other fish that I've gotten from all over and she was just a tiny little thing when I first got her.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

calicomj likes this.
  8. calicomj

calicomj Well-Known Member

Not necessarily a good thing. People want to be able to mix fish after QT. Not being able to do so really can limit what you can do. It's great the fish are healthy if you can care for them like she does, but being sensitive when mixed definitely will cause issues for some. With that being said, she does make that clear so it's best to follow that if you purchase from her.

9. nolaveils

nolaveils Breeder

Best not to mix if possible. Your average quarantine process does nothing to eliminate underlying viruses.

csoth1 and OC Ranchu like this.
  10. steamboatpilot

steamboatpilot Active Member

I have mixed a lot of fish from different sellers against all advice. I have lost 2 special and expensive fish. Sure it can be done but its not a great idea. My ECR have never had a problem. I am still not 100% certain there is not some nasty pathogen lurking in my tank.

OC Ranchu likes this.