Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

Make A Strong Aquaium Cover to Prevent Raccon Eat My Ranchus

Discussion in 'D.I.Y' started by Tekone, Jul 5, 2017.

1. Tekone

Tekone New Member

Juvenile Ranchus, Red Cap and PearlScale all ate by those damn Raccons.

90G Tank with DIY wood cover weight about 8-10lb and still can uncover it and ate 12 Juvenile Ranchus, Red Cap and Pearlscale.

Now, I'm afraid to leave it in my front yard patio. Goldfish keep in outdoor prove to grow fast and healthier

Please advice.

2. shakaho

shakaho Well-Known Member

Make a cover (like a table) slightly bigger than the tank, that goes from the ground to a few inches above the top of the tank. Cover top and sides with galvanized hardware cloth. Only a human or a bear can lift that off the tank.

3. Tekone

Tekone New Member

Picture showed the DIY cover with Mesh Hardware Cloth inside is similar what you mention. Some how they or she able to uncover it and the Mesh Hardware Cloth open with their Nail. Ate 12 of Ranchus. Only scale of goldfish leave on the floor.

Attached Files:

4. nolaveils

nolaveils Breeder

On top of my inground tubs with my best breeders I have had to use 2x4 wood frames for a lid with strong hardware cloth. the frames have a hinge on the back to the wood on top of the tub, thing a padlock type catch on the front. Looks like the fish are in prison.Concrete block on top of the frames for extra weight, not a pretty picture. Racoons are extremely strong and intelligent.