Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

Looking for new gel food recipie

Discussion in 'Goldfish Food' started by Gail, Jan 13, 2017.

1. Gail

Gail Active Member

I've been using a recipe I found online that seems OK, it has baby food, some fresh veggies and canned salmon.
    The fish like it but I'd like to try something different. Anyone have a tried and true recipe that your fish do well on?

Opinions on using things like frozen brine shrimp/mysis? I have a couple packs just sitting in the freezer I'd like to use up. I also have some frozen silver salmon that is local caught, it's not as fatty as pink salmon.

2. Gail

Gail Active Member

After looking online for recipes, I think I've came up with some combos I like but I'm wondering on how much protein to use?

If I'm using 1 cup veggies, how much protein (fish/shrimp) should I use for a high protein recipe? What about low protein formula? I'm thinking 1oz for high, 1/2 oz for low or is that too much?

I want to make two different recipes for variety

3. csoth1

csoth1 Well-Known Member

joe and *Ci* like this.
  4. Gail

Gail Active Member

Thanks for the link, it did have some good info. I made a all veggie recipe today, hopefully I got the ratio of veggies:gelatin right and it will be firm enough. Ill be making a protein recipe tomorrow using prawns and different veggies.
    I used clay in the batch today, couldn't remember how much to use so I went with 1 tsp for 1 cup of veggies. It smells a bit earthy, hope the fish don't mind it too much. I also added garlic, paprika, spirulina powder (couldn't find kelp) and a touch of calcium.

5. Cincy Ranchu

Cincy Ranchu Professional Breeder

You always have to be careful with spirulina, too much and you have a semi solid bunch of goo.

6. orangecrush

orangecrush Well-Known Member

Does that mean that spirulina can act as a stabilizer like gelatin?

Jim.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2017
  7. Gail

Gail Active Member

I only used 2 teaspoons of spirulina, food turned out great.
    I made the protein variety today, is quite a lot firmer then the veggie recipe. Used the same amount of gelatin but less water. The fish don't mind the texture and eat both very well.

8. Cincy Ranchu

Spirulina acts like a gelatin liquifier if you add too much, your dose is in the range I like

9. Cincy Ranchu

Historically, dried earth worms and /or too much Spirulina ends up with a gooey mess, that just will not gel

10. Gail

Gail Active Member

Dried earthworms, now there is a job to have. Cincy, what kind of protein do you use for your gel food? The shrimp recipe I made isn't overly popular. They eat it but much prefer the all veggie food.

11. orangecrush

Ok, so gooey but it won't set up. That answers my question.

Thanks, Jim.

12. Cincy Ranchu

It is more than that, seems the ingredients(enzymes), are eating away at the gelatin

13. orangecrush

Thanks, Jim.

14. MKintoun

MKintoun Active Member

I wanted to start a new topic specifically for SBD diets, but I think it was more appropriate to post in here instead.

I have a female calico ryukin who consistently becomes very floaty with every food I feed her; I feed 3 different kinds of sinking pellet food and Repashy Soilent Green. Once I give her peas or let her fast for a couple days, she moves her bowels and can swim normally. The problem I have is that she is housed with a telescope who does not have any swimming or floating issues. I hate to have the telescope fast only because her tankmate is having problems.

I'm wondering if I can make a gel good that can adequately feed both fish and keep my ryukin from getting constipated? Honestly I was just thinking of grinding up my high quality pellets, mix them with some peas and set them in some gelatin, but I should probably mix in some other veggies and protein into the food.

15. Cincy Ranchu

May not be constipation, but the fish is too fat, or has nitrate softening if internal tissues. A total three day fast is were to start, your telescope will be fine. I would also ask if your nitrates are under control, and are your filters and gravel clean.

Change 60%_70% water change three days in a row, fast, clean filters, test for nitrates

16. MKintoun

MKintoun Active Member

Thank you for the advice, Cincy. I do 90% water changes once a week and it is bare-bottom. I have a sponge filter attached to an air pump and a coarse sponge attached to a water pump as my filtration system. With every water change I rinse the coarse sponge and sponge filter in old tank water to get rid of the poop.

I just did the water change yesterday, so I'm certain that the nitrates are low. I will check for nitrates tonight though.

EDIT: I believe my nitrates are reading between 0-5 ppm. Typically after 1 week my nitrates are around 20-40 ppm.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2017
  17. Imke

Imke Member

My go to:
    Gelatin
    spirulina
    Garlic
    Peas
    Spinach
    Red pepper
    Tillapia