Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

long-distance moving with (fancy) goldfish?

Discussion in 'Goldfish Conversation' started by solis, Apr 19, 2017.

1. solis

solis Member

long distance as in long distance: we're talking cross-country, new jersey to california. 43 hours roughly, somewhere between 3-5 days with overnight stays in hotels.

i have a plan, but since I am a chronic worrier, i am going to run a million questions by you lovely patient people once again just to make sure.
    • should i gradually turn down their heater in the week/s preceding the trip, to get them ready for a non-heated bucket?
    • should i fast them before the trip? during the trip? at all? i'll be able to do water changes nightly at the hotels (and again in the morning before we leave if i must) and i'm worried that 5 days is too long without food.
    • 5 gallons is the biggest size bucket i have available. would two (fairly small; for size ref like, just-picked-up-from petsmart babies) fancy goldfish fit comfortably in there for 5 days (at worst) with nightly 70-80% water changes?
    • i have a sponge filter and an air stone. i was definitely planning on using a battery powered air pump and the air stone at least-- should i throw the sponge filter in there too/instead? or will it take up too much swimming space and make it extra cramped?
    • i have a 4.5 gallon tub with much better footprint/surface area that they might enjoy stretching their fins out in, but it has no lid so i cant keep them in it while we're driving. should i put them in this overnight when we've stopped at a hotel or would the moving back and forth every day just be unnecessarily stressful?
    • i've also got live plants, which are much much less important to me. duckweed and anubias. i was just going to toss them in a tupperware and every night replace the water with what's going out of the goldfish bucket. y/n?
    • i should do the same thing with my filter media, right? to keep the bacteria alive as long as possible?

tl;dr tips for moving very far with goldfish?

(x-posted on reddit, if it matters)

2. Breann Thurman

Breann Thurman Well-Known Member

Im moving monday from California back home to Oregon. I moved with my goldfish before and I fast my fish 4 days before my move. Then I put them in bags filled 1/3 of the way with water and the other 2/3 oxygen. I then put them in a sterofoam lined box and put them in my car and go. I check up on them every time I stop for gas and what not. In your case I think a bucket and airstone should be okay. you DEFINITELY want to save filter media. you can throw the sponge filter in there. for safe keeping. As for the heater I'd just turn it completely off. fast them the whole trip, before during and after for a few days. Goldies can go up to 2 weeks without food. i think water changes at the hotels are a great idea too.

Good luck with your move and good luck with everything here in California. Beware its VERY EXPENSIVE here.

3. fishstiks

fishstiks Member

Another option, if you have any friends/family that can help you, would be, to get a container to keep them in as a temporary home and leave the fish with a family member or friend while you make the drive. Purchase and supply the bags and shipping items to leave with them, and when you arrive at your new home, get your tank set up and ready for your fish. Have the person caring for them ship them to you overnight.
    It will be more expensive (especially with doing overnight shipping and supplies) but the fish would only have to travel overnight vs several days in buckets in a vehicle.
    Again, this is only an option if you have the trusted people and funds available to do it, but it might make it easier for you and the fish.
    Best of luck with your move!

4. orangecrush

orangecrush Well-Known Member

Hi Solis. Have you made your move to California yet? If so, how did everything go?

Jim.

5. solis

solis Member

no, unfortunately not yet! it's still The Plan but unfortunately there's a bit of uncertainty re: when it will happen. i will for sure post an update when i do, though!

6. orangecrush

When you do, let us know. We'll be here to help you.

Where in California are you thinking about moving to?

Good luck, Jim.

7. solis

solis Member

Well, we've got our eye on the bay area at (concord in particular) but we're still looking to find the right place so we may not end up there. It's kind of a big move so there are lots of discussions to be had about it, and obviously we need to think about jobs and all that.

8. Breann Thurman

I used to live IN Concord! It's not a terrible place but expensive as with most of California. If you're renting a place your looking at a average rent of 1300+

9. orangecrush

I'm not too familiar with that area but I do know that the Bay Area is very expensive.

Good luck, Jim.

10. Breann Thurman

Its getting more expensive than SoCal I hear. Concord is one of the more cheaper areas in the bay ( about 35-40 min drive from SF) and its still expensive

11. solis

solis Member

it's definitely the cheapest in that particular area, but as it is still rather expensive, that's not the only place we're looking. we've got a lot of choices right now, so i may not even end up in cali! it'll probably still be a long move regardless, so i'm thankful for all the advice i've gotten here and over on reddit.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2017 at 8:03 PM
  12. Breann Thurman

theres a neat thing going on over here in the NW where everyone is moving to Vancouver WA where theres no income tax and buying all their stuff across the river in OR and getting 0 sales tax. Kinda a funny thing over here.