Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

LewNews MEDIUM sized black Oranda

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by calicomj, Sep 4, 2017.

1. calicomj

calicomj Well-Known Member

So yeah... When I got the fish... He wasn't very black. Kind of a bronzy color. Washed out from stress I guess. He darkened nicely with a bit of time. He has two anal fins and a split tail. Not perfect but okay. Dorsal is kinda WONK. Weak or maybe kinked leading ray I think... See photo... large.GEDC0658.JPG.3759b632ecdbc4b950456b127427578b.JPG
    Anyway, he was rather long bodied... Which I don't really like because I love deep bodied fish, but he's beginning to deepen a bit, which is nice.

The fish could see when I got him just fine. After a few months, he is currently totally blind. His wen totally covers both of his eyes now. I can easily catch him with my hands and he doesn't scoot away, he can't see food, and he can't follow the pod well. Totally blind. Can't say that's the fault of the vendor since the fish could see when I got him. Somehow it just happened. He went from about 40 grams to about 60 grams.

He doesn't have any swim bladder. Quite a good swimmer actually, he just can't see. He manages totally fine in my setup but I'm not sure how he would do in a tank. A short while after I got him, he got his breeding stars.

With shipping, this fish cost $60. I can't say that's a bad price for what you get. He's very healthy. Never had any problems at all health wise. Very cute and friendly too. Not BIG but not SMALL. So there it goes. IMG_20170621_120655_kindlephoto-6223092.jpg IMG_20170904_131930.jpg

2. joe

joe Well-Known Member

It appears that fish from that vendor are not the best but you do a really good job of taking care of them and grooming them

calicomj likes this.
  3. calicomj

calicomj Well-Known Member

Nope. Not the best at all. But he combines the shipping so if you get 3 of these... You only pay $90. I think 3 are worth $90. The fish arrived healthy and he doesn't have swim bladder disorder so I'm happy with him. I love males since I think breeding stars are very pretty and this one turned out to be male so super happy with him so far.

I can recommend the MEDIUM SIZED fish from that vendor if someone wants pet quality fish. They weren't packaged GREAT and one tiny one died so definitely can't recommend the SMALL sized fish. They definitely aren't usually worth the shipping cost if you ask me.