Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.
  1. Guest
    Friendly note from GFK. Please review this beginner guide for your fish.

Is this ich?

Discussion in 'All Questions from Newbies' started by Pepeperon, Nov 16, 2017.

1. Pepeperon

Pepeperon Active Member

Hi, just recently posted my first post and back again.

I want to ask you guys if this could be ich.

I have 6 goldfish( please don’t tell me my tank is too small cuz I already know that) and have been doing daily water changes so that my fish can stay as healthy as they can. Unfortunately, I can’t buy test kits in Japan that tests nitrate and nitrite, but I was able to find an ammonia kit. My readings were between 0 and .25mg/l.

Now I have noticed 1 or 2 small white dots on 3 of my goldfish this week. Those white spots have not increased this past week. I have seen them brush against the gravel bottom a few times but only 1 or 2 times from just one fish. They are swimming, eating fine and acting the same.

Japanese people say to add 5 grams of salt per litre. Which in my case is 55 litres which makes it 275 grams. Just seems so crazy to me.

I have attached a picture of my choubi with one white spot on its tail. IMG_2891.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. shakaho

shakaho Well-Known Member

If the spots don't increase in number, it's not ich. The salt treatment you describe sounds good, but I recommend that you raise the salt concentration gradually.

3. Pepeperon

Pepeperon Active Member

I’ve heard they come in cycles and come back depending on my fishes condition. Not sure if I should add the salt or medication yet or is this an early enough sign where I can jump on those?

4. shakaho

shakaho Well-Known Member

If this is ich, You expect to see an explosion in the number of spots. Salt is harmless, so if the worry you, add 1 gram of salt per liter, then add the same amount daily for 4 more days. Check with the Japanese about how long to maintain that salt concentration.

5. Pepeperon

Pepeperon Active Member

So it seems like all the white spots are gone but my ranchu seems to be stressed about something. He still eats and swims a little bit back goes back in his corner. Any ideas? Checked ammonia again but seems like it’s steady at 0.25 or less.[​IMG]

6. Cheyenne B.

Cheyenne B. Well-Known Member

It's the ammonia level. I know 0.25 seems like nothing but in aquatics, anything other than zero is dangerous to fish. Please do a water change immediately and treat with Prime, if it is available. How often do you usually do water changes?

7. Pepeperon

Pepeperon Active Member

Thanks for the reply,
    I have been doing water changes everyday for 14 days straight now ranging from 20-60%. I also did one this morning and realized I may have to do more than 60%. I plan to do 75-90 tomorrow to see if it will drop. S/he has been a lot more active after my last water change and definitely resting a lot less than earlier this morning.

8. Pepeperon

Pepeperon Active Member

I used to have a smaller tank with 2 fish that I had running since end of June and moved all the rocks, plants and filter to the bigger tank. I now have a more powerful filter on my main tank and have taken out the old one(which I regret doing...should of kept it till it cycled fully). If ammonia doesn’t drop, I will consider purchasing another external filter.

9. Cheyenne B.

More than likely you will have to do more. Last summer I was cycling a 60 gallon tank. I was doing 80% daily water changes for 6 weeks. Once you start getting 0 for ammonia you can maybe skip a day and see how it changes, just monitor the fish closely.

10. Pepeperon

Pepeperon Active Member

Thanks, I won’t skip a day until I see that 0 number. The kits here sold in Japan are the tetra’s and it’s really hard to tell what kind of ammonia level I’m at. I have heard API is good but not available in Japan. Maybe I can post my readings here tomorrow and u guys can give me a second reading.

11. Pepeperon

Pepeperon Active Member

Update: just finished my water change for the day...already swimming better last night but looks even better today!
    [​IMG]

In a rush to go out so I’ll check ammonia when I get back.

12. Cheyenne B.

Good! If you take the time to watch the fish, they will tell you when something is wrong. When they start acting different, 99% of the time, there's a water quality issue.

13. Pepeperon

Pepeperon Active Member

I hope overwatching them doesn’t cause stress.

14. Cheyenne B.

Oh goodness no. Most of my aquariums are in high traffic areas, I see them all the time.

15. Pepeperon

Pepeperon Active Member

That’s good to know as our tank is set up right behind my living room sofa.

16. Pepeperon

Pepeperon Active Member

It seems like the white spots are starting to creep up a little. I can clearly see maybe close to 7-10 on them now. When I had ich on my previous fish years ago, I remember seeing lots on them and almost in no time. Am I suppose to be concerned yet?[​IMG]

17. Pepeperon

Pepeperon Active Member

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]