Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.
  1. Guest
    Friendly note from GFK. Please review this beginner guide for your fish.

IS THIS A WORM?

Discussion in 'All Questions from Newbies' started by Susan1234, Nov 5, 2017.

1. Nagisa

Nagisa Active Member

2. Susan1234

Susan1234 Active Member

Do you think the ulsers on my other fish mean I should treat him along with my fish that has dropsy ? I read somewhere that ulsers are a hint to dropsy coming.

3. Nagisa

Nagisa Active Member

I am sorry, I don't think I am knowledgeable/experienced enough to give any advice on treatment. I am just a neurotic hobbyist who have a panic attack every time my goldfish sneeze =_=;
    I have been told to stop dumping all sort of chemical into the tank like a crazy person recently, I don't think I should give advice on this topic (;=_=A
    (but if you look through the other thread, you'll find detail instructions given by other members on how to treat dropsy)

4. Susan1234

Susan1234 Active Member

At this point I'll take as much help as I can get. Everyone else that I'v talked to keeps telling me to euthanize :(
    Thanks for helping me I appreciate it

I think I will try what you suggested, I'm starting him on medication on Sunday thanks for your help

5. Nagisa

Nagisa Active Member

Wait, you have a microscope right? 0_0
    Take a swap and see if you can identify what it is attacking your fish!

This is just an article I found in a quick search, I am sure you'll find more if you look into the topic.
    http://www.clarkekoi.com/microscopes-for-koi.html

If we can find out what is causing all this, we may be able to choose the right medicine/treatment for your fish.

6. Susan1234

Susan1234 Active Member

This is a pretty good idea, I hope my microscope is powerful enough.

I will give you an update once I have done it.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
  7. Nagisa

Nagisa Active Member

8. Susan1234

Susan1234 Active Member

So I didn't get the results that I was hoping for. I tested 2 of my fish, the one with dropsy and the one with reoccurring ulcers.
    IMG_1612.JPG
    This is the one with dropsy, I found nothing. The orange is his scales I think, i Tried to be as gentle as I could. I don't know why they were running off.

IMG_1613.JPG
    This is the one with ulsers I didn't find anything but this and I think it's just a scab from his healing ulser but I'm not sure I could be wrong.

The videos were a big help so thanks for taking your time to help me. I did notice that I wasn't using a telescope like the ones in the video but mine did still go to 400X.

So in all I learned that it's probably something internal :( and it spreads to other fish I think

9. Susan1234

Susan1234 Active Member

So Today I started feeding him medication. And I already separated him in another tank. But I noticed that before I fed the medication his scales looks more down, I'm not sure if it's my mind but he looks a bit better than when he was in the main tank.

10. Nagisa

Nagisa Active Member

Good to know your little friend is doing better!
    A bummer that we still don't know what is causing it tho :\
    ( I guess it's just very very difficult.....)

But if your little one is doing better, it must mean you are doing the right thing!
    How is he now?

11. Susan1234

Susan1234 Active Member

He isn't cured, but he isn't doing worse.
    So I'm thankful for that but I think something's wrong with my main tank because my other fish that gets ulsers got another ulser :( so I'm treating that but I don't know what's causing it, I know I can't keep letting him get sick.

12. Nagisa

Nagisa Active Member

Oh no! >_<;;

Sorry I can't be much of a help, but at least put some hydrogen peroxide on the ulcer?

Jenny has a video showing you how it's done.
    Crossing my fingers for you!

13. Susan1234

Susan1234 Active Member

IMG_1623.JPG Ok thanks I will and I took another sample of my ulser fish and I had some weird discoveries. Do you know what this is? The hair thingy

14. Nagisa

Nagisa Active Member

hmmmm...........*squint very hard*
    This hair thingy looks more like a fiber to me.....usually living organisms would have "fillings".
    What's the size of this thing? Does it move at all? Anything inside of it moves?

15. shakaho

shakaho Well-Known Member

It's a fiber.

16. Susan1234

Susan1234 Active Member

So it's not anything important? Double Bummer! I can't seem to find anything on the outside of my fish. I'v been giving metroplex but my butterfly(dropsy one) has started to grow white stuff on the top of his fin! And I'm not sure if that's because of him coming out of the water or because of dropsy.