Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

Is this a bruise or ulcer?

Discussion in 'Goldfish Clinic' started by Nagisa, Nov 9, 2017.

1. Nagisa

Nagisa Active Member

Hi everyone, me again :(

I woke up this morning saw my little guy with a red spot on the left side of his body.

Does this looks like a physical trauma? Or this is an ulcer caused by bacterial infection?

I am pretty sure my water parameter are within normal range (will update the details when I got home), he is currently in a 10G hospital tank, and I do 30% PWC every other day.

He is currently being treated for a dropsy relapse :(

I mixed 1 measure of Seachem MetroPlex + 5 measure of Sechem Focus with Repashy Soilent green, and have been feeding him with cooked garlic.

There are about 1 measure of MetroPlex, 1/2 tsp of Epsom Salt and 5ml of Seachem Stress Guard in the 10G water with him as well.

Yes he is still alive, don't question me why I haven't put this poor soul out of his misery, he acts so normal and swims around begging for food like nothing had happen to him :\
    I can't just flush him down the toilet when he is still enjoying life :(

We have been battling relapse for about 5 days now, at one point I almost lost hope and was ready to say my goodbye, but he turn around and start getting better on the 3rd day! 0_0

Anyway, my question is how do I treat this if this is an ulcer? I did some reading, and apparently I need to apply some hydrogen peroxide with Q-tip on the wound......how do you guys do it? I mean......how do you hold a fish down? (He screams bloody murder every time I lift him out of water -_-; )
    And do I leave hydrogen peroxide on for a little time before put him back in the water? (how many seconds?)

I find it a little hard to believe that there are still enough bacteria in the water to cause this :|
    What are the chances of this being a physical trauma? I am eyeing that heater in the background very hard, is it possible that he got burn because he got too closed to the heater? Or he got caught in the tight space between the heater and the glass? I am thinking about putting a guard around it, is it safe to do so?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
  2. calicomj

calicomj Well-Known Member

His fins are beginning to deteriorate, his scales look bad, his eyes still look bad, he's got a relapse of dropsy, he's got a hard looking belly, he's developing ulcers. I can't say there's a point in slamming him with med after med. This is a sickly fish that will likely never be healthy.

Ulcers can just develop on sick fish. You can swab it, but if he's still got dropsy... I would say an ulcer is the least of his issues.

3. joe

joe Well-Known Member

I do not see the fins in decline however I would just treat with clean water and salt, see if the condition does not deteriorate any further. You have used a lot of meds on this fish already.

4. Nagisa

Nagisa Active Member

Calico:
    I know I have issues of letting go, but I am just not convince that he is in pain :(
    I have been mentally preparing myself to put him down if he shows signs of pain or stop eating, but I don't want to gave up on him when he is still fighting..... >_<;
    In fact, I think his condition has been improving since two days ago, the scales are slowly flatten, and he wasn't as bloated as before.
    I understand you are trying to tell me not to be selfish, I will keep reminding myself that too.

Joe:
    Thank you for the advice!
    Just to be 100% clear, are we talking about Epsom salt or aquarium salt here? What is the recommended dosage?
    Also, the temperature?

5. calicomj

No! Don't use aquarium salt. He has dropsy. This is a big no no, remember? Swab the wound with peroxide just once and keep the water clean. Kept the temp as close to 80° as possible. If he begins to hang out at the surface, lower it.

Nagisa likes this.
  6. Ponder

Ponder Active Member

If you do have to put this fish down, please don't flush him down the toilet. I'm hoping you were joking about that. You can euthanize him with clove oil added to the water. It would be much more humane.

7. Nagisa

Nagisa Active Member

Calicomj:
    Thank you! You just caught me right before I do water change last night!
    I read some articles online about treating dropsy with aquarium salt and heat, and I was so confuse! >_<;

Ponder:
    Thank you for worrying about my fish (and sewer), it was just a saying I am referring to. I never understand why people flush their deceased pet, I was very shocked when I came to North America and found out some people do that.....(;=w=A

8. calicomj

Koi people use aquarium salt for dropsy, but it is not recommended for goldfish. We don't treat Koi and goldfish the same way.

Nagisa likes this.
  9. Nagisa

Nagisa Active Member

Just in case anyone is wondering, he got better! :D
    Dropsy all gone too! :D
    His left eye has shrunk to it's normal size, and his right eye slowly reducing too.

My boyfriend jokingly said we should rename him Rambo X'D

Attached Files: