Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.
  1. Guest
    Friendly note from GFK. Please review this beginner guide for your fish.

How can I accommodate this aggressive feeder?

Discussion in 'All Questions from Newbies' started by malsprower, Oct 10, 2017.

?

How can I accommodate this aggressive feeder?

1. Get rid of the feeder

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Keep him in wheelbarrel

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Move him to 40 gallon with fancy and hope for the best

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Other option

2 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. malsprower

malsprower Member

Hi, I am very new to fish keeping, I recently bought a 40 gallon tub with a filter to house a feeder and a fancy together, I introduced the fancy and the feeder immediately started chasing it and being aggressive, I raised the feeder in this wheel barrel for 6 months without any filtration and wanted to give it more room, I had to move him back to his original home and I am frustrated, I brought the wheel barrel outside so the it can get some wind and rain overflow to freshen the water. I need help with this situation:

If you can't open video I made, let me know.

2. orangecrush

orangecrush Well-Known Member

I have been read all of your posts since you first joined GoldfishKeepersForum and I recommend that before you get anymore fish that you first learn how to properly care for them.

Good luck, Jim.

3. Ponder

Ponder Active Member

I agree. This is no way to keep fish. Please do your homework before getting any more fish. You are being cruel trying to keep them in conditions that are not suitable.

4. malsprower

malsprower Member

These are quite snarky responses, just tell me what to do instead of giving me rude responses like this, should I install something in the wheel barrow to create water flow? The wheelbarrow is 22 gallons, I measured it today. Stop being rude and please help me!

5. malsprower

malsprower Member

It has been almost 6 months, I have learned a lot, I feed the goldfish live insects, duckweed, and high quality pellets, he has grown and thrived, I know not to keep more than one fish per 20 gallons, I know to to do my water changes, again this wheelbarrow is 22 gallons with a high surface area which helps oxygen diffusion. Yes I was ignorant several months ago, but don't call me ignorant. I am asking you to help me. Not to criticize me. I don't need snobs, I need mentors!

6. Ponder

Ponder Active Member

If you want to keep goldfish, keep them in something that is suitable for goldfish, not a wheelbarrow with no filtration. I'm really surprised that fish survived at all. He must be one tough fish. I suppose a wheelbarrow could be made to house a fish, but it's awfully shallow and will heat up quickly, especially if it is exposed to the sun.

Bringing the wheelbarrow outside so that it can get wind and overflow with rain water to freshen the water is not a good idea. Rain can be acidic. And you said there is no filtration in that wheelbarrow. Those of us with ponds are constantly monitoring and maintaining the alkalinity of the water to deal with this issue, and we do regular water changes. Refreshing the water should be done at least weekly with a water change.

The chasing could be breeding activity. If you don't want it to happen, make a divider for your tub and keep the fish separate. Or put them in separate tubs.

7. malsprower

malsprower Member

Thank you for this response, it is very helpful to me, I may install a filtration system in my wheelbarrow soon, I am thinking about adding sand and wild plants to help keep it clean. Is this 22 gallon wheelbarrow ok for this one goldfish? They say 20 gallons per fish

I have moved my guppies into another pond and they seemed to thrive in there. I am also trying to keep this wheelbarrow under a shaded overhang and away from the sun so it doesn't heat up. This goldfish survived a Florida summer very well. I have moved it outside so the water hyacinth can survive without getting destroyed by spider mites in the porch.

The wheelbarrow setup outside is a vast improvement from what I had in the porch. All I had in the porch was water and not enough horn-wort, because the goldfish ate all the duckweed and the other plant got destroyed by spider mites. The horn wort was growing but not fast enough. I had to get him outside in order for the plants to grow and provide shade and balance. And I decided to find the shadiest area to put him in.

8. Ponder

Ponder Active Member

Sand and plants are fine, but, to me, they aren't a sufficient filtration system. You need a pump and a filter, and an air pump and air stone would be good as well, especially in your area.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
  9. orangecrush

We're not trying to be rude or snarky, we're trying to help you. Go to the ARTICLE section at the top of this page and please read

1-Goldfish Care 101
    2-Goldfish and Nitrogen Cycle
    3-Basic Requirement for Goldfish
    4-Goldfish Feeding Guide
    5-Fishless Cycle For Your Tank

After you have a good understanding of what a Goldfish needs are, then I would recommend picking up a stock tank (50gall.+) or build something similar to my patio pond but on a smaller scale. This will be much more suitable for Goldfish and you can still keep your plant-only wheelbarrow water garden on the side.

Good luck, Jim.

Attached Files:

10. malsprower

malsprower Member

I planted my 40 gallon filtered tub with wild Ludwigia and added another feeder to improve the hierarchy, I tried to give the fancy back to the fish store but they didn't take it back but they still gave me a refund. I added both fish back to the 40 gallon, I can't sacrifice my beautiful feeder over a pet store refusing the fish back and I have no other good place for the fancy. Seems like the bully is calming down a little, I placed in a lot of obstacles as well. I will be planting some lilies in the tub too, I want to plant the heck out of this tub, which will help. Weirdest thing is, when I placed the fancy back in, she seemed to just settle to the bottom and chill, and the feeder bully calmed down and just chilled next to her, and at some points, she chased him. What scared me initially was his aggression in the beginning of the ordeal. I just can't let him live in the wheel-barrel anymore. I will keep my fingers crossed and they can get along. :( If the plants get eaten by the fish, I would say that's a good thing, because it will improve their nutrition and make them stronger, I plan on getting some lilies in as well, I will keep experimenting with different plants and see what they will eat, and feed them that. Seems like goldfish leave hornwort alone. If you have any plant suggestions for them that they like to eat, and other plants that they will leave alone, please let me know. I am very happy to hear that these fish eat a lot of different plants. I can grow them in other tanks and feed them these plants.

11. malsprower

malsprower Member

Thank you for the helpful reply Jim, I think a plant only wheelbarrow is great and possibly adding hardy mosquito fish to the wheelbarrow to make nutrition for the plants. I will also be adding an air filter to the 40 gallon tub.

12. orangecrush

I’m glad that you’ve changed directions. Did you read the material that I suggested?

Good luck and happy fishkeeping,Jim.

13. malsprower

malsprower Member

Yes thank you for the information, i bought a 40 gal stock tank for the fish, I will keep making their life the best I can make it. I will try my best to spoil them and make their lives the happiest they can be and they will get a salad of happiness on top of it because they eat so much that I grow in my other tanks. I will soon be treating them like my kids lol.

14. Ponder

Ponder Active Member

You can add nutrition for the plants without adding any fish to that wheelbarrow. It's called fertilizer! If you have a mosquito problem, you can get mosquito dunks. There are many other solutions that subjecting more fish to unfiltered water.

I use tomato stakes to fertilize my pond plants. If there are no fish in the wheelbarrow, you can use a water soluble fertilizer and just add it to the water. Just because fish can survive in a particular situation, it doesn't mean it's good or healthy for them.

Do you have filtration in the stock tank? Do you have water testing kits to monitor the ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and kh? If not, you should get those. Test your water regularly and keep it safe and healthy for the fish.

15. malsprower

malsprower Member

I will be having both water and air filtration along with a mini river for the stock tank, What would you suggest should be the best plants to grow with the goldfish that they won't touch? Ones that grow fast

16. malsprower

malsprower Member

Thanks to you guys, I have installed a fountain in my wheelbarrow, there are no fish in it yet, also I will be having three filters in the 40 gallon along with an air filter, thank you for inspiring me.

orangecrush likes this.