Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

Help with a sick goldfish

Discussion in 'Goldfish Clinic' started by SaveThemAll1, Aug 7, 2017.

1. SaveThemAll1

SaveThemAll1 Member

Hi. I have a 110 L tank with 3 small "fancy" goldfish. THe water parameters are fine ,(NH4 NO3 NO2), there is a 1400 L/H External filter and 350 LH internal filter. The tank is about 1 mounth old and the backround story is that a few days after I started the tank the fiish started to poop white poo. they were recieveing very high protein food for the first 5 days and switched to normal goldfish food. The first thing I did was to stop feeding them for 3 days and then gave them pea for 3 more days. 3 of the fish showed improvement but 4 didn't,so I started treatment with metro. second days of the treatment the fish passed away. Now we are 2 weeks after and 2 days ago one of the fish was crawling on the bottom of the tank having a really hard time to keep himself straight , not to mention swimming.. ive got arecommendation to give him a salt bath and so I did. yesterday the fish showed improvement, swimming around, still looking less active , but much better. I have no idea if the salt has anything to do with it. today he looks a bit worse.. he still looks much better then the first day of illness but he seems a bit weaker then yesterday. he also has a weired shape in his belly, its like his chest a bit puffed, then theres a narrow part and then at rear part of the belly puffed again, also his scales a bit piney.Another thing is today I saw different fish sitting on the bottom, when I got closed he started to swimm like everything is ok, but then I saw it again a few hours later. I have a bad feeling about this , I really appreciate your help. I really want them to be happy and feel good, please share any info you know. PS my English isn't the best so if something isn't clear then please note or ask, TY
    VIDEO:
    upload_2017-8-7_15-48-38.png

upload_2017-8-7_15-47-23.png upload_2017-8-7_15-47-42.png upload_2017-8-7_15-47-59.png

2. SaveThemAll1

SaveThemAll1 Member

Ive just noticed that he has a tiny red dot on his belly near his pectoral fin, does might indicate something?

3. joe

joe Well-Known Member

looks like the little guy is having a difficult time swimming, make sure the current in the tank is not too strong. The red on the fish may mean many things at this time. If your water conditions are good just monitor. If the fish is swimming and eating I would not worry about it too much

4. SaveThemAll1

SaveThemAll1 Member

he looks weaker then usual.. are youy sure theres nothing to worry about?

5. SaveThemAll1

SaveThemAll1 Member

He is looking much worse today, and his scales are like pine. theres another fish on the tank who seems to develope the same symptoms, he seems a bit weaker and has pine scales.. iv tried to look for kanaplex or other kanamycin products but i think it isnt available in my country. do you have suggestions? other meds that might help?

6. Breann Thurman

Breann Thurman Well-Known Member

Pinecone scales indicate dreaded dropsy. This CAN be caused by a bacteria infection but in most cases its caused by fluid build up that leads to organ failure. I have seen seen dropsy treated with metronydezole and Kanaplex but i would say 80% of the time its fatal. Once the scales pinecone it means the dropsy is already in advanced stage. :(

7. shakaho

shakaho Well-Known Member

Bacterial infection leads to fluid buildup and organ failure.

8. SaveThemAll1

SaveThemAll1 Member

Hi, im still looking for further info and help. Right now the tank is being treated with furanol, the sick fish is in a plastic box inside the aquarium in order to keep him out from the currents and closer to the surface. He seems a bit better but still very bad. The other fish whom i concered about is bloated and have pune sacles, behaving and eating normally. Any suggestion? other medications and treatments that i should try? anything to help understand further the cause of this? Ty for your help