Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.
  1. Guest
    Friendly note from GFK. Please review this beginner guide for your fish.

Help / Buddha Aquaponics Aquarium / Watefall Noise

Discussion in 'All Questions from Newbies' started by Kayte, Nov 10, 2017.

1. Kayte

Kayte Active Member

As some might remember, I have been a setting a 125g aquarium in my home to keep fancy goldfish. The goal is to have something to meditate to and be a conversation piece. So I am calling it my Buddha Asian Garden Indoor Pond. The filtration system is set up to reduce water changes (not to completely eliminate them). The canister filters filter the water mechanically then pump the water into some planter boxes I have sitting above the aquarium. The planter boxes are filled with lava rock and plants. Right now I only have lucky bamboo. I plan to add such house plants that originate from the Asian Pacific like pathos, aluminum plant (Pilea cadieri), peace lily, etc. The water then spills back into the aquarium via a waterfall spill way.

The picture below was taken a few weeks ago. Instead of the HOB power filters, I have two canister filters. And I also have a cable wire suspension system supporting the planter boxes to take weight off the center glass brace.

[​IMG]

My question is this. The filtration system works exactly as I imagined it. I was worried that the flow rate from the canister filters would be too much and cause water coming out of the spillway to over shoot the aquarium. I put filter floss in front of the spill way and the water falls nicely into the aquarium like a water wall. However, it is so noisy. Does anyone have a suggestion on how to quiet it down? I don't want to completely extinguish the noise altogether. I just don't want it so loud that I hear clear in my bedroom!

Does anyone have any ideas?

Kayte

bettasngoldfish likes this.
  2. Kayte

Kayte Active Member

Oops... I do know how to spell waterfall. It is the computers fault!

3. orangecrush

orangecrush Well-Known Member

Close your bedroom door.

4. bettasngoldfish

bettasngoldfish water changer

Love this tank.

Can you post a short video so we can hear it?

5. Ponder

Ponder Active Member

When we first built our pond, I felt like we had to shout over the noise of the waterfall. Now it's just background noise and very enjoyable. It doesn't seem loud at all anymore.

The only ways I can think to reduce the noise is to either reduce the flow of water or shorten the distance the water has to fall, or both. I think with time, you will hardly notice it.

6. Surrealasm

Surrealasm New Member

The sound of flowing water should be awesome to meditate with!