Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

Goldfish With Sand With Sinking food?

Discussion in 'Goldfish Food' started by Heather, Jun 30, 2017.

1. Heather

Heather Active Member

Hi guys

I got a gorgeous new tank for the goldfish, they're enjoying it, I seem to have got the itch and lice under control.

Anyways I've used sand instead of gravel as I've read it's similar to their natural environment in rivers, also I was having trouble with the gravel and ammonia.

I use tetra sinking pellets, but they're going onto the sand (obviously) and some of the fish are having trouble eating, they're picking it up and spitting it back out with all the sand, should I get some non sinking pellets or will they get the hang?

2. joe

joe Well-Known Member

they are doing what nature designed them to do which is to sift through the substrate and look for food. Just vacuum that sand when you do water changes as a lot of debri can trapped underneath thus compromising your water quality. Stay with the sinking pellet

Heather likes this.
  3. Heather

Heather Active Member

They are sifting it and finding the food but they're picking it up to eat and having to spit the whole lot back out then pick up again because their mouths are full of sand, they seem a little panicked and annoyed as they want to eat

4. shakaho

shakaho Well-Known Member

They are fine. They just need practice.

Heather likes this.
  5. Ponder

Ponder Active Member

My tank also has sand. The fish do seem to like sifting through it for whatever they can find there. However, I put a small plant saucer on the sand, or partially buried in it, and put the sinking food in that. The food does usually get washed out of it, but it stays there long enough for them to get at least some of it easily.

6. Heather

Heather Active Member

Thanks @Ponder I was thinking of doing that, might give it a go

7. orangecrush

orangecrush Well-Known Member

Goldfish will pickup and spit out food, this is their way of tasting and eating. I have bare bottomed tanks and my fish still do this. Sometimes my fish take turns tasting the same piece of food before eating it. Any sand will pass right through. I wouldn't worry. Just enjoy your fish.

Good Luck and Happy Fishkeeping, Jim.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2017
  8. Imke

Imke Member

I've recently changed one of my aquariums to barebottom. I've never had problems with goldfish eating sand but one of my little guys was eating the food and sand. At first I obviously thought it was sifting and going to spit the sand back out but then I noticed no sand was coming back out of its mouth... after a few days of watching this fish pick up sand and not spit it out I panicked and took all the sand out. Also my ranchu was having trouble staying a float.. litterally shaking its little butt trying to take off, going up about 7 inches and sinking to the bottom .. I haven't seen any sand in her poop which concerns me but she's swimming fine now...