Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

Goldfish Standard - Ryukin

Discussion in 'Goldfish Quality' started by small_ranchu, May 9, 2012.

1. small_ranchu

small_ranchu Admin Staff Member

Goldfish Standard - Ryukin​

The Ryukin Goldfish belongs to double-tail goldfish group. It has an egg shaped body. The dorsal fin should be stiff and upright on the body, its height about 1/3 of the depth of the body. Other characteristics of the Ryukin Goldfish are a pair of anal, ventral and pectoral fins. The length of the forked caudal fin is ¾ to 1-1/2 of the body. The distinct feature of the Ryukin is the hump. The markedly arched hump starts from the back of the head and reaches the start of the dorsal fin. The double hump appearance is also uncommon in Ryukins, a second hump appears just before the dorsal fin in addition to the usual hump which starts at the back of the head. The shape of the head as seen from above is often overlooked in the case of Ryukin; the shape should be triangular.

The colors of Ryukin Goldfish are red, orange, white, red and white, olive or grayish green, and calico. The Ryukin appears to have intense colors. In addition to existing colors, all-black, metallic blue, and “Goshikiâ€￾ (silver or gray with orange marking) have been introduced from the Far East.

When judging the Ryukin, the presence of the hump is an important character. Compared to metallic calico, matte calico or nacreous calico, two-colored metallic fish usually have more pronounced humps. When judging Broadtail Ryukin, care should be taken to differentiate poorly developed fish—cross-bred of Veiltail and Ryukin—and the original Ryukin types. The presence or absence of a well developed hump is the determining factor in determining if a fish is an original Ryukin or hybrid of Veiltail and Ryukin.

When all other characteristics are equal, the fish are ranked according to finnage:
    o Broad –tailed Ryukin
    o Long-finned Ryukin
    o Medium finned Ryukin
    o Short finned Ryukin

All Ryukin should have proportional fins, regardless of the fin type. For example; a fish should not have a pair of long dorsal fin when it has short pectoral, ventral, and anal fins.

Ryukin can have problems in swimming because of the position of the air bladder in the body. Abnormal swimming motion is considered a conformation issue.

We need pic of show quality fantail.. please PM me

2. Ranchufan16

Ranchufan16 Ryukin & Veil Enthusiast

Fred is it possible with these to attach maybe the AGA standard drawing or someone elses drawing if those are copyrighted? just a thought. Thanks!

3. small_ranchu

small_ranchu Admin Staff Member

I am waiting Gary for Merlin drawing. :)

4. Ranchufan16

Ranchufan16 Ryukin & Veil Enthusiast

oooooooh :yess: this is DEFINITELY worth the wait. Thank you for the update Fred! can't wait to see you at the july show. bringing your lovely bride?

5. Ripitake13

Ripitake13 Well-Known Member

Hi you know how you said that the Ryukin belongs in the double tail goldfish group. Well I have a Ryukin that does not have a double tail. The tail is joined together to make a sort of triangular shape. It also has very long flowing fins and tail. I was wondering if this is a rare goldfish by any chance

6. bigbettadan

bigbettadan Professional Breeder Staff Member

It's still a double tail regardless if the tail is fused or not. It's not rare it's a throwback in breeding there are some in every spawn they are usually culled out. There is a breed with a fused DT as its ideal it's the tosakin.

Dan

7. afnaveils

afnaveils Goldfish breeder

A tosakin is a rare goldfish. A fused tail ryukin should have been cull at the fry stage or could make a good pet.

8. garyru

garyru Active Member

Hi all just wondered if this coloration is considered tiger or calico

Attached Files:

9. prex

prex Active Member

Tiger is just a marketing term. It's technically a calico but a very poor representation.

10. Shh-goldies

Shh-goldies Member

Within the ryukin standard is it necessary to have a large hump and deep body or are there sub categories or ryukin ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. prex

prex Active Member

The hump is a defining feature of the ryukin and the deep body balances it. I think without it you are looking at a fantail.

12. Shh-goldies

Shh-goldies Member

Very good to know

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. joe

joe Well-Known Member

The fish is very young, I see the beginnings of the hump and with proper grooming the fish has potential

14. orangecrush

orangecrush Well-Known Member

Also Calicos tend to have smaller humps than the reds or red/whites. High protein foods and plenty of clean water will help develop that hump. Be patient and enjoy your fish.

Good luck and happy fishkeeping, Jim.