Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

Food decisions

Discussion in 'Goldfish Food' started by Hunter, Dec 18, 2017.

1. Hunter

Hunter Active Member

I'm still trying to work out a diet for my fish (I can't really do anything fancy ATM) bit I'm trying to get a GOOD food on a regular basis a store that I rarely go to had these , now I remember a ton of people loved Hikari awhile back so I picked it up and figured it's worth a shot, opinions?
    IMG_20171218_171811.jpg
    Now this is what I've been feeding for months with a little growth all round I Know it sucks probably but I'm trying for a general diet with a lack of resources.
    15136380284591324731469862502150.jpg
    So my questions are between these what are my good options for six fish between 1.5 to 3 inches

2. joe

joe Well-Known Member

many of us have moved away from pellet food. We use repashy gel food and are getting better results with regards to growth, color, and over all vitality of the fish. Of the pictures shown, I would go with hikari food

3. calicomj

calicomj Well-Known Member

A diet of only pellet food for fancy goldfish in tank isn't something I recommend. Especially if that diet is high in Hikari. That food often causes the floats. Try adding in a "crumble" such a YFS seafood crumble or AAP paradigm herbivore. Also gel food is great. But if I recall correctly, you said you didn't believe in standard stocking levels and have 6 fish in a 55 gallon tank. With that said, I don't think it too much matters with regards to growth. At those stocking levels, it isn't likely your fish can grow to their full potential. But to try and prevent the floats, definitely add in other foods besides processed pellets.

4. steamboatpilot

steamboatpilot Active Member

I like bug bites based on the ingredients, black soldier fly larva really gets me excited for some reason. When I ask people who grow big fish fast what they feed it is copious amounts of frozen blood worms and daily water changes. You can order duckweed on ebay pretty cheap, I would definitely keep that floating in the tank to keep them cleaned out.

5. Hunter

Hunter Active Member

I've heard about repashy, but The only location i can find anything about a goldfish specific food is dandy orandas, and that is a heft price tag for something I can't find much info on anywhere else

6. Jgroc002

Jgroc002 Active Member

I would look at the Repashy website and read about their foods there. I am skeptical about the Fluval bug bites for goldfish because a main ingredient is corn which is just a filler.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. calicomj

calicomj Well-Known Member

And corn isn't even a decent filler. I've never tried the bug bites either. I don't believe fast growth is good for them either. There's nothing to suggest trying to gorge our fish and promote big fish quickly is a good idea. We don't do this with our kids. Doesn't seem like a good idea. If the fish has big genetics and we do things by the books, it will grow big in time. I've seen huge fish grown with canned tuna fish and boiled egg. Doesn't seem healthy to me.

8. orangecrush

orangecrush Well-Known Member

You know Hunter , you can quite easily make your own gel food. Joshua's golds on this forum has a really good gel food recipe and you can adjust it to your needs.

Good luck and happy fishkeeping and happy holidays, Jim.

9. Clockwork Aquatic

Clockwork Aquatic Active Member

I looked at the ingredients on a bag of hikari algae wafers last night. The first 12 ingredients lister were all fish byproduct and wheat and grain. An actual algae was #13, followed by more terrestrial fillers, then I think 1 more type of algae.
    Would have been more accurate to call them wheat wafers. Im think im done with Hikari.

10. orangecrush

You can buy it directly from Repashy and also on Amazon.

Good luck and happy fishkeeping, Jim.

11. Sbuggg13

Sbuggg13 Active Member

I will say two things based off my experience with Hikari and Repashy. I was using originally Omega one small sinking pellets as a filler in between a mixture of mostly protein (Frozen blood worms, frozen and fresh brine shrimp). I decided to add repashy soilent green and super green as a two part mixture and hikari in the purple bag, I believe they are the 1mm sinking pellets. I traded the hikari for the omega one because people seemed to be ranting and raving about it. Here's what happened with my fish:
    -All of my fish started having irregular poop, regularly. It was bubbly, sometimes just the casing was there. It only floated, never sank and it was very, very long. My fish looked like kites.
    -On top of that, they started to become floaty. I already had a goldfish with buoyancy problems and she was so bad that she could barely stay upright.
    I didn't know exactly what was causing it (hikari or repashy) so I started by taking the hikari away and switching to only repashy and live foods. They STILL had issues with pooping. I was kind of perplexed on this one because repashy is supposed to be a great brand. So I stopped feeding them repashy for a little while and moved back to live proteins and omega one. Since then they have slowly gotten back to normal bowel movements so I'm still not sure which it was..it could have been a combination of both of those things. All I will say is before I started Hikari and Repashy, my fish's stools were completely normal and other than my one fish that already had buoyancy issues, no one was floaty.
    Hope that helped..If anyone else is having the same issues as me with feeding either one, I'd like to hear what you weaned out, what worked etc.
    Sarah

12. Buttercup

Buttercup Active Member

I stopped feeding Hikari Fancy Goldfish pellets and within a week my float prone oranda’s stopped floating entirely. They continue to get Repashy daily with no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Hiccup

Hiccup Well-Known Member

Had the EXACT same issue with repashy+Saki Hikari Purple when used together......not sure why because I've heard from lots of folks that Repashy, being a moist food, should help with float issues

14. Cheyenne B.

Cheyenne B. Well-Known Member

I've never had an issue with Repashy. My fish love it and for me, it's the best gel food on the market. I've eliminated anything Hikari. After a family death last month, I forgot to order new food and completely ran out. While it was being shipped, I went to my LFS and bought Hikari. The first time I've fed this, they hated it and the ones that did eat it became floaty within two days. I highly discourage the use of anything Hikari.

15. Sbuggg13

Sbuggg13 Active Member

I think it also depends on the fish itself. While some fish may see positive results with certain foods, some fish respond better to certain foods and others don't. I've seen a lot of negative reviews of Hikari, but I've also seen a lot of people saying their fish are fine on it. I personally won't use it anymore, but whatever works for other people's fish.

16. Sbuggg13

Sbuggg13 Active Member

Hiccup that could be the cause! I am glad to know that someone else has had the issue when combining both. I think I will slowly incorporate Repashy back into their diet when their bowel issues has completely stopped. Thanks for the added help! :)

17. joe

joe Well-Known Member

I have completely eliminated any pellet food, only going with repashy prouducts either the dandy oranda gold gel or repashy soilent green. I have noticed my water is a lot clearer since switching to gel food

18. Hunter

Hunter Active Member

Haven't been online in awhile and they've been loving the Hikari maybe I'll look into adding repashy a bit soon, Still no interest it seems in bug bites. The Hikari is definitely showing results or its just making the growth more obvious now that I'm looking for it so far no issues

What does everybody due for feeding veggies? I've been thinking about it since I have a tropical community that would likely enjoy it as well, but I'm worried about picking up the wrong thing and it ends up hurting the tank or the fact that they might not be able to eat an entire cucumber or whatnot

19. orangecrush

You can feed blanched peas out of the skin, kale, broccoli, cauliflower, squash, cucumber, strawberry, banana, melon, and citrus.

You can take these blanched veggies, puree them,and add plain gelatin from the grocery store to make your own veggie gel food.

Foods to avoid are avocados and apples.

Good luck and happy fishkeeping, Jim.