Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.
  1. Guest
    Friendly note from GFK. Please review this beginner guide for your fish.

Floating Ranchu, help!

Discussion in 'All Questions from Newbies' started by JEM Fish, Nov 12, 2017 at 12:20 PM.

1. JEM Fish

JEM Fish Active Member

I have 2 Ranchu in a 55 gallon tank with a canister filter and lots of plants. I've had one of these goldfish for about 3 month and the other I got a few days ago (both went through qt for a few weeks, didn't bring anything noticable in). Ammonia and nitrite levels are 0, and nitrate is very low at about 10. pH hovers higher around 8, we have fairly basic well water which is why it is high but fish do very well with it. I keep the temp around 70° because I have so corydoras in there for now. For the last 2 weeks (before I added the new fish) my first Ranchu Wilbur started to float slightly, and ever since then it has been coming and going, getting worse and better for 2 weeks. He is floating with his back at the top (see picture), it isn't too severe but it is seeming to impede his happiness as swimming around is more difficult for him and at night and when he rests he is on the surface. I thought the culprit was the food, which is hilarious lionhead brand (I'm thinking about switching after this) but I tried fasting him for a few days and he still is floaty. I've also tried peas but so far I have noticed no difference. He might be constipated as I haven't noticed him poop lately, but that might just be me nit being there when he does but I'm still concerned. His food is sinking and I incorporate bene-fish-al food into his diet as often as I can, and I feed him peas regularly along with other veggies. Let me know if you've had experience with something like this and could help! I'm worried about Wilbur![​IMG]

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

2. calicomj

calicomj Well-Known Member

Hikari foods cause many fish to float. However... The bubbles on the surface of your water combined with the water level point to a water quality issue. Can you report your water parameters? How often do you change your water?

3. shakaho

shakaho Well-Known Member

Please quote this post and put your answer after each question. Also, please show us a full tank view.

What is Ammonia Level?
    What is Nitrite Level?
    What is Nitrate level?
    What is Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH)?
    What is Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH)?
    What is the brand of test-kit used(strips or drops)?
    What is your water temperature?
    What is the size of the tank (how many gals.) and how long has it been set up?
    What is the name and size of the filter(s)?
    Is there any substrate in the tank? If so how deep? and what kind (sand, gravel)?
    How often do you change the water and how much?
    How many fish in the tank and their size?
    Do you use water conditioner(if so, what kind)?
    What do you feed your fish and how often?
    Is there any new fish/plant added to the tank? if so how long is the quarantine period?
    Is there any medications added to the tank?
    Describe the problems you are seeing: example grains of salt on body, bloody streaks, frayed fins, fungus, staying at bottom, not eating, etc?

4. JEM Fish

JEM Fish Active Member

I can assure you it isn't a quality issue. It's just lower level because I cleaned the canister filter recently, which ended up taking out a few gallons because the filter holds that much and the bubble are from the output of the filter. Also I do water changes weekly, roughly 30-50%. Also the other fish is fine, I've tested the water with a API master test kit so I'm sure of the conditions. Any other ideas? I'm hoping they get better on their own but if there is any way to assist wilbur I'd love to, thanks though!

5. JEM Fish

JEM Fish Active Member

I can assure you it isn't a quality issue. It's just lower level because I cleaned the canister filter recently, which ended up taking out a few gallons because the filter holds that much and the bubble are from the output of the filter. Also I do water changes weekly, roughly 30-50%. Also the other fish is fine, I've tested the water with a API master test kit so I'm sure of the conditions. Any other ideas? I'm hoping they get better on their own but if there is any way to assist wilbur I'd love to, thanks though!

6. JEM Fish

JEM Fish Active Member

Floating on surface

7. JEM Fish

JEM Fish Active Member

Floating on surface

8. JEM Fish

JEM Fish Active Member

Happy to start that he is no longer Floating after a bit of pea and another day of fasting. Glad Wilbur's back to normal! Also I'm getting a new fish online, can't wait! Actually its from this forum!

9. calicomj

Gotcha. Take him off the Hikari immediately. Switch him to a better quality food with less fillers. Since he is float prone, I would suggest gel food.

10. JEM Fish

JEM Fish Active Member

Yeah, I decided I'm down with the hikari food, (waste of 20$, I always thought hikari was high quality, guess not!), I have some frozen bene-fish-al cubes I got in the MAB which I've had for about 4 months. They really love them and I supplement with peas once to twice a week. Only question is how long does gel food last frozen? Also are you supposed to freeze it? I'm quite new to gel food.

Shelli likes this.
  11. calicomj

Some will argue to the end of the world that Hikari is good food. Some have had great results with it. But way too many people have reported floating on this food and a reduction of the floating when the fish is taken off the food. Frozen will last a few months. I wouldn't feed food that's been frozen for 4 months though. Maybe 2-3 at max. Repashy makes some good gel food. Try their Repashy Super Gold.

Shelli likes this.
  12. JEM Fish

JEM Fish Active Member

Alright will do