Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

Final Resting Place ?

Discussion in 'R.I.P' started by orangecrush, Apr 3, 2017.

1. orangecrush

orangecrush Well-Known Member

When that time comes for your friends to move on, how do you handle those arrangements? In the old days it was drop and flush but many of our fish are just too large for something like that.

Thank you, Jim.

PHorst likes this.
  2. PHorst

PHorst Active Member

I grow roses and lots of plants in containers, so my fish are buried in my rose beds or in a flower pot/container. When I lost an entire tank of African cichlids to a virulent bacterial infection (whole tank gone in about 3 hours), we buried 25 or so fish in my biggest rose bed. I can look out at my flowers and remember my fish.

3. orangecrush

This is an option we use with our birds.

Thanks, Jim.

PHorst likes this.
  4. shakaho

shakaho Well-Known Member

Um... compost pile.

5. orangecrush

So sensitive.

SimplyDez and Hiccup like this.
  6. orangecrush

When my little boy Sundance passed away yesterday, I buried him under the Olive Tree that I planted last year.

Jim.

Attached Files:

7. Chris1251

Chris1251 Active Member

Chris here... Hi Jim, I was sad to see you lost one of you little fin family... . It's not easy to lose such a handsome fishy... my two that have passed rest in our bedding area, the plants and flowers appreciate the gift... RIP Sundance...

8. Hiccup

Hiccup Well-Known Member

Same here, burial under a plant in the garden for both our finned and feathered buddies :)

9. Carolina

Carolina Active Member

I had a really tough time with the loss of the gal pictured in my profile. She was very large and even larger since she died from an infection caused by being egg bound. i buried her in the yard and planted a bush over her. Made me feel a bit better.

SimplyDez likes this.
  10. SimplyDez

SimplyDez Active Member

I was really attached to this little comet I had found at the fair. He was abandoned in a bag with 5 other goldfish. They were only an inch and a half long. Not knowing about proper goldfish care at the time, I had all six in a 1.5 gallon tank. The one in question killed off the other five, so naturally I kinda hated him. But he grew and grew until he was, nose to tail, the entire length of the tank (6 inches) where he couldn't even turn around anymore without difficulty. I decided that since he was a good growing boy I would get him a tank. But when I cleaned his tank one day, I didn't add enough dechlorinator. I told my family that he died. And I don't think they realized how attached I was to him since I had grown him from such a tiny little thing. So I just quietly went outside and buried him in some sand. Made a little sand mountain over where he was buried, put a pink azalea on top and then spelled out fish in the rocks left over in his tank. (He never had a name I was so made with him. I just called him Fish.) Cried a little and went back in the house. Eventually the flower withered and the little sand mountain eroded back into flat ground but I never forget that fish. He was the one that got me to love goldfish so much.

That was back in 2013. Later that year I learned proper goldfish care, and have been ever since. I finally think I'm ready to really start in the goldfish keeping hobby. So I've been saving up to get a proper setup. But anyway, that's my sad story of the day.

11. Ichthius

Ichthius Professional Breeder

They won't go to heaven unless they go through the swirly gates.

SimplyDez likes this.
  12. Carolina

Carolina Active Member

aww! this fish made it possible for others to live happy lives. Very noble little dude. ;)

SimplyDez likes this.
  13. SimplyDez

SimplyDez Active Member

He was, wasn't he? Never thought of it that way! Thank you.