Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

Egg Bound Oranda

Discussion in 'Goldfish Clinic' started by Cheyenne B., Jan 6, 2018.

1. Cheyenne B.

Cheyenne B. Well-Known Member

She took another ml via syringe this evening. We are getting another snow/ice storm currently. I'll update as I can.

2. orangecrush

orangecrush Well-Known Member

3. Cheyenne B.

Malachi is not interested in syringe feedings today. She's getting to the point where she clamps her mouth shut when I pick her up. What I have gotten in her today, she just spit back out. :( I've tried everything I know to do, but she still won't eat. What on earth is her problem?

4. calicomj

calicomj Well-Known Member

I had a fish that would go for food, but would only spit it back out. Soon enough, he wouldn't even go for it. I syringe fed for TWO WEEKS. He barely got anything but it was enough to keep him alive. Also took a month of Metro and Triple Sulfa. One day, he went for food... And kept it down. He's still the weakest fish I own to this day. Reacts to everything. Small too for his age. Maybe she needs more time. Syringe feed A LOT, some will get down her. She's just likely very sick. Probably nasty internal infection.

Cheyenne B. likes this.
  5. Cheyenne B.

Joe is sending me some metro food to try. I tried twice this morning, she's spitting out everything. I'm hoping if I add a bit of the metro food with water and syringe feed, she may be interested since it's something different.

6. Pepeperon

Pepeperon Active Member

Do you guys have the food that dissolves in water and the fish gets nutrients by absorbing it thru their gills? I have no clue whether that product is actually good or not but just throwing this in here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Pepeperon

Pepeperon Active Member

Was gonna use it while I was away on vacation but decided they could fast a few days

8. Pepeperon

Pepeperon Active Member

[​IMG]
    This is the food

9. Cheyenne B.

None of that stuff is good food, in my opinion. Just a money racket. If I leave, I usually just let them fast.

10. Pepeperon

Pepeperon Active Member

Yeah I figured so.

11. joe

joe Well-Known Member

we have that garbage here too. It is called vacation food. You are supposedly to put it in your tank and leave for a week or so. It has no nutritional value whatsoever but does not appear to harm the fish

12. Cheyenne B.

IMG_8392.JPG IMG_8393.JPG

Here's some updated photos of her this morning. Just did a 100% water change and added the 3rd round of Metro.

13. joe

joe Well-Known Member

she looks less bloated. I am going to over night the food to you so you should have by 12 pm the next day

Cheyenne B. likes this.
  14. Cheyenne B.

She does, this is actually what she normally looks like to me. I've got two more rounds of metro left in the box. She doesn't have any symptoms right now except for the not eating. She's not as bloated, she's not gasping, not bottom sitting. Thank you for the meds! I really, really appreciate it! If there's something I have that you ever need, you know it's yours!

15. calicomj

I don't see what difference medicated food will make TBH. It doesn't taste as good as regular food, and if she's rejecting even tasty food... I don't see why she would eat medicated food. In addition, metro can be easily mixed with gel food and she has Metro. I didn't recommend this because the fish won't eat anything.

And she looks less bloated because she is simply wasting at this point. She's in very warm water and she hasn't eaten anything in ages. This will cause her to burn any and all fat stores she has pretty quickly and she will simply begin to lose weight.

16. joe

joe Well-Known Member

I do not want to give up on this fish for Cheyenne, she cares very much of for this fish but perhaps you are correct in turning the heater off and letting the water return back to normal temps

17. Cheyenne B.

And I appreciate it, Joe. Malachi was one of the last fish my grandfather saw before he passed away. I can't bring myself to give up on her. I'll turn off the heater when I get back home shortly.

18. Pepeperon

Pepeperon Active Member

How old is your goldfish?

19. Cheyenne B.

I've had her since July, I estimate her to be around 2 years old.

20. calicomj

It is very clear Cheyenne cares greatly for ALL her fish. I didn't at all suggest giving up on the fish. The fish is hanging on and despite not eating, does not seem to be suffering so of course we keep trying to help her fight. I just honestly didn't see how medicated food could help. It's highly unlikely that she will eat it.