Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.
  1. Guest
    Friendly note from GFK. Please review this beginner guide for your fish.

Does salt temporarily fix swim bladder?

Discussion in 'All Questions from Newbies' started by Pepeperon, Jan 10, 2018 at 11:13 PM.

1. Pepeperon

Pepeperon Active Member

The fish I dropped few months ago started getting a fungus infection weeks ago and was being quarantined for the meantime. Before going in, my fish would float after every meal and stay up there till the next morning but ever since I have quarantined him, he seems to be fine. His poop also looks to be very healthy too. I had the QT in 5% salt with methylene blue treatment for a week and a half. Fungus is now gone and back to being a happy fish.

I did feed him smaller amounts but did not notice any floating in the QT now that I think about it.

Is this because of salt or was the fungus the cause? He’s been a floater prior to the drop and been floating for months now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Pepeperon

Pepeperon Active Member

Been day 2 and still no sign of floating. Fingers crossed.

3. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Probably what you are dealing with is not swim bladder but more constipation/bloat issues. Either way great job in taking care of the fish. Just evaluate what you are feeding as food can cause bloat/internal issues in fish.

4. Pepeperon

Pepeperon Active Member

I used to keep marine fish for 10 + years and thought that was fun. Never thought I would have this much fun keeping these guys. Great hobby :)

5. calicomj

calicomj Well-Known Member

Salt does nothing for swim bladder as far as I know. Again, I agree with Joe.

6. Pepeperon

Pepeperon Active Member

Thanks Joe and calicomj. Will keep an eye on him and hopefully his issues are gone.

7. Pepeperon

Pepeperon Active Member

My other floater (ranchu) has suddenly stopped floating too. I did not qt this one. Very srange

8. afnaveils

afnaveils Goldfish breeder

I think feeding in small amounts may have helped in better digestion. Also, were they alone in each tank during quarantine? If so, less competition may have helped them eat more calmly gulping less air. Only speculations...

9. Pepeperon

Pepeperon Active Member

I had two in my QT and I tried feeding small amount 5 times a day and not 2 or 3. I think they were just constipated.

10. calicomj

calicomj Well-Known Member

My fish have never suffered from constipation. I have over 30 fish. If multiple fish seem constipated, it's definitely time to rethink what and how much you're feeding.

11. Pepeperon

Pepeperon Active Member

I think so too. So far the small amounts multiple times a day seems to be working with the food I have now. Once I run out of food, I want to give repashy a try. Just a little concerned cuz it is pricey here as I have to ship from us. I asked like 5 shops if they carry any gel food but no one carried or even thought of the idea before.

12. calico3

calico3 Well-Known Member

Would you consider making some by scratch. Many members do and I believe if you check our food section you will be able to find recipes to do it yourself. I was considering this until I was able to find a local vendor for Repashy's gel food.

13. Pepeperon

Pepeperon Active Member

Good to know! I will research!