Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

Celestial eye development

Discussion in 'Goldfish Breeds' started by Big Red, Feb 1, 2018.

1. Big Red

Big Red Well-Known Member

I have a handful of celestial fry which I kept from a spawn last year November. I have decided to take regular photos of the fry in an effort to track the characteristic celestial eye development. As you can see below, this individual's eyes are beginning to protrude outwards. I shall update this post in a week or two☺
    IMG-20180201-WA0002.jpg IMG-20180201-WA0001.jpg

Moose1414 and calico3 like this.
  2. joe

joe Well-Known Member

that is awesome that you have a line of celestials going. No too many people working with them. I happen to love them. It looks like you have some robust fry there. How long does it take for the eyes to turn upward

Big Red likes this.
  3. Big Red

Hey Joe, I have no idea Some breeders have reported that it may take a few months. I'm interested to what happens☺

4. calico3

calico3 Well-Known Member

Big Red, many thanks for the pictures . Did you have to do a lot of culling to get to the ones that you have left ? ( for fin and back faults ) .

5. Big Red

It seems celestials breed true, just a few back bumps here and there. However, it might be different when the eyes start doing their thing- apparently not all the babies eyes turn upward, some remain stuck in telescope position while other face forward. I'm holding thumbs that at least some of mine end up facing upwards☺

6. nolaveils

nolaveils Breeder

If you haven't seen it, there is a great article on raising celestials by a friend of mine who has raised them for decades, (no longer active on this site). Go to the Home Page, then hit Articles at the top, then scroll down to the bottom and select Celestials.

7. calico3

calico3 Well-Known Member

Nolaveils: I have read that article several times and I wish to thank Bruce for taking the time to contribute the article. We lost a good member that spent much time trying to breed & promote the " celestial " to all goldfish keepers. Please give him my thanks and I do hope that he has continued with his projects & has obtained his calico celestials and was able to produce fry from his yellow.

I know that a lot of celestial lovers and hopeful breeders would welcome him back if only for a check in. Again thank you Bruce.