Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

Butterfly Goldfish Spawn and Growth (long and pic heavy!)

Discussion in 'Breeding' started by vwill279, Apr 30, 2017.

1. vwill279

vwill279 Active Member

Side views of some of the lovely broadtails and veiltails! The length of fin and tail on these guys at their young age is amazing! I cant wait to see what they will look like in a few more weeks!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

solis and RhaeSoleil like this.
  2. vwill279

vwill279 Active Member

Time to move the babies to a new, bigger tub! Into the 100 gal they go!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. orangecrush

orangecrush Well-Known Member

Do you think?

4. vwill279

vwill279 Active Member

?

That first pic is not where they were living, just the transport bucket. I dont think I would have been able to raise them to that size in a 5 gal bucket regardless of water changes...

5. orangecrush

Hahaha. No, I didn't think you were raising them in the 5 gallon bucket. I was just saying that,yes with that many, they do need more room.

Happy Fishkeeping, Jim.

6. Breann Thurman

Breann Thurman Well-Known Member

Such pretty babies. I hope to get my two kirin butterfly telescopes to spawn soon. They are far too stubborn.

7. vwill279

vwill279 Active Member

Little tancho baby <3! He doesnt have the nicest tail shape, but he will still be a gorgeous telescope goldie with that coloring when he grows!
    [​IMG]

Brae.m and solis like this.
  8. orangecrush

Not everything has to be perfect. It's not like you have 500 irregular fish you're keeping because of their markings. One or two isnt going to hurt, and you can always find a home for him/her. It would also make a nice pond fish and if you don't have a pond, there's your reason.

Happy Fishkeeping, Jim.

Last edited: May 25, 2017
  9. Tanaquil

Tanaquil Member

Such cuties!! Thank you for sharing

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

10. Breann Thurman

That adorable little Tancho ;-;

11. vwill279

vwill279 Active Member

These two are my current favorites and likely keepers. I'm keeping 5 total so I have a bit of wiggle room.

This guy is one of the biggest of the bunch and has a gorgeous tail. His eyes are developing symmetrically. He hasnt started changing color yet and I'm excited to see what lies underneath. He's a very active guy and hates being corralled for photos.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This one is also a big guy. He's a lovely solid white color and has a nice tail shape. His eyes havent started developing yet. He's a bit more docile than the other guys and always sits nicely for pictures
    [​IMG]

12. solis

solis Member

hehehe i have a favorite already!!

[​IMG]

i know it's gonna lose that stripe but it's so cuuuuuuute

13. vwill279

vwill279 Active Member

lol I have one that has the cutest black tom selleck mustache. I am sad that he's going to lose it cause it would be super cute. Part of me is hoping there is a red one underneath.

14. solis

solis Member

awwww, a little red moustache would be so cute too... fingers crossed!

15. vwill279

vwill279 Active Member

Update:

After a very long and hearbreaking battle with some disease that did not respond to any treatment, I lost most of my babies. I have 13 left of the close to 300 I started with. Even doing 95% water changes twice a day in the big indoor pond for 2 months, treating with Kanaplex, deworming food, antibiotic food, prazipro, heat and salt, and other methods, nothing helped. I lost sometimes up to 10-15 babies a day over a month. Most of the babies that survived did not have good conformation, but no veiltails made it, which makes me sad. There were some glorious ones in this batch.

Here are some photos of a few of the remaining babies. They are all doing pretty well, no signs of the strange illness for a month now, but they are not growing as fast as I would like. None of them will be for sale until at least the end of summer. I want to make sure they are healthy and I will be keeping at least a few of them. Even the "crappy" ones are survivors and have become precious to me and I'm insanely fond of the chubby little single tail.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

solis likes this.
  16. Breann Thurman

Aweee I'm sorry you lost most of the spawn. But the ones you have are so pretty! I especially like the white and orange one. Their colors are so pretty and vibrant

17. SimplyDez

SimplyDez Active Member

Aw, sorry to hear that! Hopefully you'll get a bigger, better spawn later! For the time being, though, these look nice!