Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

Butterfly breeding project

Discussion in 'Breeding' started by Elizabeth V., Dec 17, 2017.

1. Elizabeth V.

Elizabeth V. Member

gold (4).jpg new female 1.jpg new female 2.jpg new fish 1 (3).jpg Hi I recently found tree 6in butterfly for a good deal I'm planning on breeding them but I've only bred ryukin and telescope. Can some one give me suggestions on which would be good pair to try?
    Calico is the only male

2. Natasha.

Natasha. Member

Disclaimer: I'm by no means a butterfly breeder but I will offer my two cents and see how others correct me.

It's a shame that the only male is the calico. To me, he has such a weak tail that I would look for a new male if I were serious about breeding these butterflies. He also appears to be a bit less full in the body and have a long peduncle, so I'd pair with fish 2 or 5 which appear to have fuller frames and a shorter peduncle. I would also want to look at any major faults such as tail fusions and single anal fins and try not to double up on those. For a simple hobby breeding I think you could get some pretty good fish out of these with some attention to your crosses and good culling.

Are you looking to continue with telescope eyes or no? I would also take into account the relative size/symmetry of the eye set too if that's what you're after.

EOGoldfish likes this.
  3. joe

joe Well-Known Member

you are breeding unrelated lines of fish of various quality. You will get a very mix bag of mostly fish that look like neither parent. at the very least breed a butterfly to a butterfly. You can then breed your F1 generation back to parent fish to improve your line

4. afnaveils

afnaveils Goldfish breeder

To add to Joe's comment, it may be easier to get a pair of butterflies from a known breeder or at least a male butterfly to match with the red female in the last picture.