Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

Buddha Asian Mediation Tank... Plant recommendation?

Discussion in 'Goldfish VS Plant' started by Kayte, Feb 4, 2016.

1. Kayte

Kayte Active Member

Good day all -
    I want to set up a planted tank with a couple of gold fish. You might have read my other post "Aquaponics Buddha Meditation Tank" about filtration? I do plan to add the goldfish after the plants are well established. I really want to keep the Asian theme of the tank. I was thinking about framing the buddha statue with Narrow Left Green Temple. Yes the Buddha statue is fish safe! Promise.

Would you all have further recommendation of plants for this tank? I do want to heavily stock this tank with plants. So don't hold back your recommendations!

And another thought just came to mind... I do understand that gold fish are plant munches. I have also read that goldfish can be "trained". Is there a way to "train" these fish not to eat rooted plants? I do have two tanks. One tank I can place the fish in while the other planted tank is growing, cycling, and becoming establish. If I give the gold fish access to floating plants and feed them lettuce and peas while in this non planted tank, would they perhaps not munch on my rooted plants? What are your thoughts?

Cheers,
    Kayte

2. Fishheadz

Fishheadz Well-Known Member

My thoughts are, Goldfish are scavengers, above anything else, they will sift and root around in substrate. As far as plants go, I understand you're trying to keep a "theme", though I would suggest plants that have thick, hardy leaves, such as Anubias, Amazon Swords, etc. The Temple Plant, should do fine, however Lucky Bamboo a:isn't bamboo, b: can not be left fully submerged as it is not an aquatic plant. Any Frilly leafed plant, such as Parrots Feather, rest assured will be a snack. Floating plants, water lettuce, water hyacinth, duckweed,etc. can be used, but most likely the goldfish will nibble the roots of floating plants, killing the plants in the process. One must also be somewhat careful with plants, while they produce Oxygen during the day, they consume it at night, (I think thats right, it's early, still on 1st cup of coffee).

Joshua's golds likes this.
  3. *Ci*

*Ci* Goldie Guru

If you are going to have dirt or aquatic plant substrate, you want plants with good root systems. Amazon swords, vals, crypts and crinums are all tough leaved enough for goldfish ... especially if established before adding the fish. They are also all fairly low light. If the fish root around too much, add some flat stones near the base of the plants.

4. Kayte

Kayte Active Member

Thanks Fishheatz and Ci for your thoughts. I am well aware that lucky bamboo does not do well in aquariums as I have tried that already. LOL Hence why I am considering planting them along with pathos, chinese evergreen, peace lily, etc in the aquaponics planter bed that will serve as a filter for the tank. But I might go the herb route... thai basil is one that comes to mind. And I think I have decided on using a canister filter as well. Anyway ... as far as the plants you listed - anubias, amazon swords, cyrpts, vals, etc - all have origins in the Amazons. There must be some Asian options. I have read that java fern can thrive with goldfish. I was thinking maybe blyxa aubertii would do well. Is common name according to wikipedia is bamboo plant and it is native to Asia. Ambulia may be a good option. Limnophila Hippuridoides could be a viable option and it is native to Southeast Asia. There is always christmas moss. I could perhaps even have the moss grow on some driftwood so it looks like a tree symbolizing the Bodhi Tree that buddha sat under. I could have my buddha statue sit beneath it. Now this is an interesting thought. I just read what the symbol of the bodhi tree really means in buddhism (http://www.wisdom-tree.com/wisdom/symbolism.html). My tank bottom is black which makes a reflection. I wonder if there is a way to take advantage of that in this design? Hmmmm... gives me some things to think on.

Has anyone tried any of these plants? Does anyone eles have out of the box suggestions?

Cheers,
    Kayte

5. shakaho

shakaho Well-Known Member

I don't do underwater plants, so I can't comment there. Basil, including Thai basil, does well in aquaponics, and I have some nice pineapple sage growing. It has beautiful red flowers. Thyme has done well for me and times and died at others. But if you have herbs, you will need a grow light.

6. *Ci*

*Ci* Goldie Guru

The blyxa, ambulia and limnophilia are all fairly delicate and may be eaten by goldfish - also they require higher light and c02 to thrive. The blyxa would probably come rooted but he others would come as stem cuttings so they would need extra time to establish. The java fern and moss are not rooted plants. If it were me, I would give up on the substrate idea, go with a bare bottom and use driftwood with your ferns and mosses, and glass vases for some rooted plants - experiment with different ones till you find goldfish compatibles. This pluss the cannister filter plus the aquaponics growbed = easy to care for!

I find barebottom tanks with tasteful pots and decor to be very "Oriental" in feel.

[​IMG]

KimA. likes this.
  7. shakaho

shakaho Well-Known Member

I agree. With plants in pots you can place a layer of flat stones on top of the planting medium so the goldfish can't dig out the "soil". Even when the plants are not tasty, goldfish may uproot them while foraging the substrate. I know I have a container pond with a sandy bottom because I topped off the waterlily pots with sand. :)

8. KittyPage1345

KittyPage1345 Member

This is great idea! I am practicing Buddhism myself and wanted to set similar theme for my Ryukins. I have partial planted with Anubis and fake bamboo as floating plant until I get a real one to grow in my 55 gallon bare bottom. I really like the pots idea I should do that with my current plant and add a few more with them. I still have a couple weeks until my goldfish arrive to have my tank fully ready and completely planted with my Buddha in the bottom. I've made my own DIY Spawning mops with green acrylic yard for when they spawn and hence the first part of spring in Colorado is no better time to start breeding.