Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

Black telescopes?

Discussion in 'Goldfish Judging' started by Kirin, Jun 9, 2017.

1. Kirin

Kirin Member

I got these two goldfish at Maidenhead Aquatics which unusually has been getting in some reasonable goldfish in although I wanted a second opinion. I've called them telescope moors and general telescopes. The lighting for the photographs is pretty bad, their much darker then they look.
    A.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This girl has a joint tail and anal fin which isn't really ideal but I think she has a nice shape the eyes are good, her tail is quite strong also.
    B.
    [​IMG]
    This one has much smaller eyes and a hump on the back, I generally have read the smaller eyes aren't really desired and the peduncle seems a little long also?
    I am really interested in any criticism as I want to get into breeding so I want to know if these two are useful.
    Thank you!

2. joe

joe Well-Known Member

the correct term is demekin but they are often still called telescopes. They come in a variety of colors and tail types. Yours appears to be the short tail variety. Nice fish

3. nolaveils

nolaveils Breeder

Check the Goldfish Society of Great Britain site for more info.

4. afnaveils

afnaveils Goldfish breeder

Still young to tell but for now they look like regular moors. If they develop a ryukin body, they'd look like demekins.

Ichthius likes this.
  5. Kirin

Kirin Member

As far as I'm aware demekin can refer to telescopes in general by the Japanese translation but also the variety which is similar to the ryukin in being of Chinese origin but developed in Japan. I'm kind of hesitant on the demekin bit without the hump but not sure. I would like demekin personally.
    I used to be a member of the GSGB and I need to rejoin, the main issue only one of their meetings is close to me and without the ability to drive it leaves me a little stuck. I'm tempted to maybe order some moors from Star Fisheries to breed with mine to get some better quality blood, but I've heard mixed reviews on quality/health :/ No idea where Maidenhead is getting these guys from as they did a campaign in the past for better quality goldfish and I've read they can have some pretty good fish.

6. afnaveils

afnaveils Goldfish breeder

In the UK, I think the broadtail moor is easier to find, isn't it?
    It's quite hard to find the demekin style! I've never found any at any LFS in Montreal. Only once I had one but I bred it myself from regular moors.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2017
  7. Kirin

Kirin Member

The broad moor i've seen Star Fisheries sells and a guy up north, although I read there is an issue with the tail being larger and deeper therefore being too heavy sometimes for the fish, although I do like them a lot. I might wait for their open day so I can choose individuals :)
    MF Aquatics in the UK had two demekin (http://www.mf-aquatics.co.uk/product/kirin-demekin-6-15-cm-2/ and http://www.mf-aquatics.co.uk/product/calico-demekin-6-15-cm/) which were particularly good from the photos but sadly sold out :/ Also the higher price bracket.