Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

Black Oranda – Fade

Discussion in 'Goldfish Quality' started by dctan, Aug 20, 2010.

1. dctan

dctan Member

Questions:

If a black oranda fade to sliver or bronze due to environmental change (not enough sunlight or sick) can revive back to it original black color? How ?

Is this only apply to black oranda? What about other black goldfish (e.g black ranchu, telescope, bubble eye, ryukin etc)?

Hope someone can clear my doubt.......

Thank You

Attached Files:

2. Virginia ranchu

Virginia ranchu Professional Breeder

It would be hard to know whether the fading black color is genetic or not. If it is genetic, then there is nothing you can do to reverse it. Do not feed a "color-enhancing" food, as this will intensify the red color, and will not improve the black color. Also, bright sunlight can deepen the black color.

Best of luck,

Rob

3. jesster2

jesster2 jesseter

I think goldfish utopia has some black color enhancing food. If that is something you want to try. I would probably try putting him in an outside pond for a couple months first. My guys always darken up(from bronze to deep black) when they go outside in the summer. Plus this way you know if it is genetic or just sun deprivation. Hope this helps.

Jesse

4. bekko

bekko artisanal breeder

The color is usually reversible in black oranda. Sometimes, you cannot bring black pearlscale and black ranchu back to their original color. When they go in the other direction and yellow/orange begins to appear on the belly there is no hope of bringing them back to the original color.

-steve

5. dctan

dctan Member

Rob, Jesse , Steve thanks for the tips.....

6. moklo

moklo Member

I know this is an old thread, but I need this question answered. Is the black in goldfish the same as SUMI in koi? I have one apache oranda which has black beneath the scales.

7. joe

joe Well-Known Member

If I understand the definition of an apache oranda I would assume you are talking about an black and red fish? The black will probably fade eventually to an all red fish or one that is mostly red. I believe the colors on a koi are much more stable and fixed Black on a goldfish is not though there are some goldfish that due remain black throughout their lives. Environment and diet does play a role in this issue too

8. moklo

moklo Member

Sumi on koi develops in hard water, any one keeping bi-color goldie in hard water?