Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.
  1. Guest
    Friendly note from GFK. Please review this beginner guide for your fish.

Best type of tank for a ranchu? Wide vs tall?

Discussion in 'All Questions from Newbies' started by Olivia, Jan 15, 2018.

1. Olivia

Olivia Member

Greetings!

I'm new to this forum and in the midst of researching information about ranchus before I take the plunge and purchase one. This site has been extremely helpful, so I wanted to verify which type of tank I should purchase? Wide tank (similar to a breeding tank) vs a tall tank? Reason being, my sister has a taller tank (please see image attached - terribly sorry if the image is not the best quality), but I'm suspecting it won't be an ideal habitat for a ranchu.

I'm planning on purchasing a 45-50 gallon tank to accommodate two ranchus. I hope this will be adequate space.

Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Olivia

Attached Files:

2. Olivia

Olivia Member

Apologies, here are the dimensions of my sister's tank, which she is offering to give me: stand Size: 37 in x 13 in x 59 in

3. Pepeperon

Pepeperon Active Member

I have heard ranchus’ do better in shallow water, but I think they will be happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. orangecrush

orangecrush Well-Known Member

First of all, welcome to the forum. Wider tanks are always better for all Goldfish due to the larger surface area. The 40 gallon breeder tank can accommodate 2-3 Fancy Goldfish.

Good luck and happy fishkeeping, Jim.

shakaho likes this.
  5. joe

joe Well-Known Member

It looks fine, may be not fill it to its capacity but ranchus should be fine not in less they were raised in very shallow water

6. shakaho

shakaho Well-Known Member

What Jim said. Wide and shallow is always best for goldfish. Get a 40B.

7. Olivia

Olivia Member

I will have to heed all of your advice and opt for a wide and shallow tank. Our local Petco has 40 gallon breeder tanks on sale for $50, so I'm heading out to buy one. Already purchased the sponge biofilter, Aqua Clear filter, Seachem Prime, prazipro, thermometer, ceramic air stones, tubing, whisper pump, API test kits, dr. tim's ammonia, python water changer, etc. The beginner's guide available in this forum is extremely helpful! Will start cycling the tank once it's purchased.

Appreciate the input, everyone!! :) Glad I found this forum!

8. orangecrush

AquaClear 110 is the best.

9. Olivia

Olivia Member

Thanks Jim! I'll choose the AquaClear 110. Should I buy two HOB filters, or is that too much filtration? I plan on place the sponge biofilter in the tank as well.

10. orangecrush

I have a 55 gallon tank with an AquaClear 110 and two large sponge filters. I keep three large Ryukin and a large Oranda in there and my parameters are in check. I also do weekly 100% WC. I personally don't believe you can ever have too much filtration with Goldfish.