Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

Bare bottom tanks.

Discussion in 'Goldfish Pictures' started by BPP, Jun 29, 2017.

1. Sbuggg13

Sbuggg13 Active Member

I will only go bare bottom! It is so much easier to keep up on and to make sure nothing gets trapped into the sand to cause spikes. Also, I think its more aesthetically pleasing to look at a bare bottom tank. :)
    I only use sand in my betta tank

2. nygold

nygold Well-Known Member

I only go bare bottom with goldfish.

3. 218dhb

218dhb Active Member

You can go with ceramic or porcelain tile bottom, about the same ease of bare and easier to scrub clean.

nygold likes this.
  4. Zach

Zach Member

I personally haven't tried tile yet but I do like the look of it, I plan to use on a larger tank to give a more expensive look

5. calicomj

calicomj Well-Known Member

Definitely easier to clean... But bare bottom really robs the goldfish of its natural tendency to like to forage. There would be sand on the bottom of their natural dwellings. There doesn't have to be a lot, but I find my fish are happier when there's something for them to root through. With that said... Mine live outside now and there's a thick layer of carpet algae they love.

6. Crystalscale

Crystalscale Member

I always have very mixed feelings when the topic of bare bottom tanks comes up. While yes, it looks clean and is easy to maintain, it also keeps your goldfish from following their natural instincts aswell as steals them an activity that can fill about 60 % of their day. (Yes I am talking about foraging in sand). I did keep a bare bottom tank for a month, but then switched to a fine layer of black, corse sand/fine gravel. It holds a bunch of beneficial bacteria and due to it's compaction, poop just stays on top, ready to be vacuumed. I also disturb it every water change day to prevent anaerobic pockets. I enjoy giving my goldfish what they want instead of permitting them to have sand because of my own human preference. I honestly think that kind of thinking is wrong.

7. calicomj

calicomj Well-Known Member

I have to agree. Tanks with just fish, filter, glass, and fancy blue light... it might look nice to some but it's just so unnatural. But I guess that's the nature of "ornamental fish". Not knocking anybody, I just personally think my fish are happier with something to root through.

8. orangecrush

orangecrush Well-Known Member

I keep river rock larger than a quarter covering the bottom of my tanks. Crap can't get harbor in it, Goldfish can sift through it but they can't get it stuck in their mouths.

Happy holidays, Jim.

Note; this pic was for a Goldfish Council photo that I was doing. The rock is normally in there, the TGC mug isn’t...lol.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 1, 2017