Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

Aquaclear HOB Filter

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by small_ranchu, Jun 5, 2012.

1. small_ranchu

small_ranchu Admin Staff Member

We haven't talked much about AquaClear HOB filter. Do you recommend using it? We want input from the user with experience with only for this filter since it is the product review thread..

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000260FUW/?tag=amzffny-20

Personally, I have used it and like it very much. It gives you a lot of room from bio material and cleaning process is not that complicated either.

What do you think?

2. runningwater

runningwater Active Member

I love them , have 12 of them.
    Easy to clean, simple and effective with no gimmicks.

3. harzan

harzan Professional Breeder

I like the idea that the flow can be adjusted so small fish can be raised with filtered water. I have been buying the Whisper or Whisperer brand as it can also be adjusted. I find the cost is lower here locally than the aqua clear.

4. felix

felix Active Member

So this filter doesn't run with carbon necessarily which is a good thing, right?

5. larsonsar

larsonsar Active Member

I have some Aqua Clear HOB in a box... they each started making horrendous growling, squealing noises and I was never able to figure out how to fix them or what was causing it. At first I thought it was the sand in two of my tanks... but then I had this happen subsequently in tanks with no substrate.

Has anyone had this problem? What am I missing !! ??

6. small_ranchu

small_ranchu Admin Staff Member

did you try to remove the intake pipe from the filter housing and clean the area?

7. Cincy Ranchu

Cincy Ranchu Professional Breeder

Used for decades

I have used these for decades and have many, they have three issues, the impellers grind or chatter when they get bits of plant material around their impeller or when they get worn. When they get older and you have a power outage they do not come back on without flicking the impeller with a pencil. Lastly, when the sponges get partially plugged the sponges push upward, in some cases they drain water out the back of the tank.

If you know these things and keep up on the maintenance, they last for a very long time.

The only thing better than these are foam from Swiss Tropics, which is what I am slowly switching to, as the foam is perfect but pricey:hangout::HiThere

Lou likes this.
  8. chibikaie

chibikaie Member

I love these. They are reasonably priced, very quiet, and easy to customize. (I don't follow the instructions. I use a prefilter sponge for mechanical filtration, and the rest is biological media. So it's even cheaper as I almost never have to replace anything.) Maintenance is also very simple, which as we all know means we are more likely to do it. I've had three, and they are very reliable in my opinion. I am normally very hard on equipment, yet I have never broken one. (Most people who know me would find this shocking.) :yess:

chautrung likes this.
  9. Big Red

Big Red Well-Known Member

I own two and they work really well. I also enjoy the fact one can easily customize the filter. My lfs has one of those miniature marine tanks and it's been running on an AquaClear for over two years now, so not even salt can get the better of it! I have used many filters over the years and would rate the AquaClear the best by far☺

10. Lou

Lou Well-Known Member

I also have many of these and most of them are the 300 (now called 70). These are the best HOB filters due to their versatility.

Cincy Ranchu summarized some of the issues with these filters. In addition to that, the impeller shaft is not made of ceramic (it is stainless steel) so it could score over time, especially in tanks with sand or smaller gravel. When the impeller and/or impeller shaft wears, there is a bit of a play between them, then these filters get noisy because the impeller would wobble around the shaft.

If you have sand or smaller gravel substrate, a coarse sponge pre-filter on the intake tube is very helpful. That will stop the sand going into the filter to accelerate the grinding down the impeller and shaft. Also, this way you pretty much do not need to clean the filter itself often (just clean the pre-filter). I use two sometimes even three sponges in the filter as all biological filter when using pre-filters.

When these filters (impeller, shaft, or motor) finally bite the dust, buying a new impeller, a new shaft or a new motor is actually pretty expensive, comparing to the cost of an entire filter. What I do then is to use inexpensive 3/4" PVC coupling that will fit snugly onto the U-tube (for the models with the 1" tube). Then the possibility to DIY is endless. I use these 210 GPH submersible filters that comes with a sponge pre-filter (total costs less than $10). Another benefit I found is that now the filter (really the pump in the submersible filter which is now inside the fish tank) will re-start much more reliably after a power outage.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2015
  11. ranchumatt

ranchumatt Hobbyist Breeder

I have used them for years..............my favorite is the 300 (model 70), but I also use a few of the 200 (old model 30 or 50....can't remember offhand).

I agree with all the flaws that Cincy listed.

I use mine in several non-standard ways:

I cut up the standard sponges into different sizes that are interchangeable among different sizes and brands of power filters. I also buy custom-cut sponges from angelsplus.com............that way I can get perfectly-sized sponges in different coarseness.......15ppi, 30ppi, 50ppi. Sometimes I run bioballs in my aquaclears as well.

On older fry tanks, I often transition to the AquaClear 200 when the fry are about 60 days old, and I add a small sponge to the filter intake to prevent fry getting sucked in. The adjustable flow rate lets me increase flow and filtration as appropriate with growing fish.

12. calicomj

calicomj Well-Known Member

I have a 110.

CONS
    #1 Expensive. Costs like $90. High for a HOB.
    #2 Seems to be fragile. Mine barely hit a desk and cracked.
    #3 Can be noisy for some people. Mine was.

PROS
    #1 Adjustable flow. Very handy
    #2 Big media basket and nice sponge
    #3 Great GPH turnover rate

I prefer the Aqueon 55/75 over these simply because they're super durable and I've dropped them and whatnot and they still work perfectly. The AquaClear cracked and became unusable that quickly. With the price difference, that was the selling point for me.

13. Justintime

Justintime Active Member

I love the aqua clear HOB. My father used them when I was a little kid and now I’m 40 and still using some of the same filters that he gave me when I was 10 you can’t beat them for hob I have lava rock, ceramic rings, pot scrubbies, coarse foam ect. In mine I have four on tanks at the moment two 30’s and one 70 and one sitting in a box for just in case the two I bought were money well spent

14. KimA.

KimA. Well-Known Member

I have three of the 110's on my 125 gallon tank. They're super easy to clean.

15. Justintime

Justintime Active Member

Yea the aqua clear filters are awesome n easy too clean but a canister isn’t too bad if you have a little room to move

16. nolaveils

nolaveils Breeder

But nothing takes the place of frequent water changes.

17. Justintime

Justintime Active Member

Yea your right about that just finished a 50% change but good filter helps