Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

Advice for rescued injured Oranda

Discussion in 'Goldfish Conversation' started by GoldandBeautiful, Feb 13, 2018.

1. GoldandBeautiful

GoldandBeautiful Member

Hi everyone,
    A few weeks a go I noticed a beautiful Orange Oranda at a local pet store with a chunk missing from his side .Each time I'd visit the poor fishy was in the same condition as I had last seen him. He had his face in the corner of the tank every week ,I asked the employee what happened and she said an aggressive Koi took a bite out of him, yet the poor guy was left in the same tank with the abusers for weeks :( Yesterday I decided if this innocent Goldie had any chance of surviving I would need to take this cutie home where he'd be loved and taken care of (I can't understand how people can see an animal suffering and not care)

I bought Melafix today and will be placing it in the quarantine tank with him today. Yesterday I added aquarium salt and stress coat to his tank, I'm keeping the water clean doing frequent water changes as well.
    Are there any other tricks/advice anyone can offer to maybe help him heal ,am I doing all I can to help him?
    Should I swab his wound with peroxide daily?
    I noticed all day yesterday once on his own in the quarantine tank HE STARTED SWIMMING AROUND :0) I was so happy to see that he didn't have his face in the corner any longer like at the pet store :)

Question: I have not seen "Percy" poop yet , should I fast him? I'm concerned if I fast him his body won't have what it needs to heal? I gave him some peas the first night and this morning a pinch of Soilent Green. I'm hoping he pooped by the time I get home tonight, I'm worried :( Other than this he is swimming around normally and he has an appetite <3

Thank you in advance for any help/ suggestions :0)

2. orangecrush

orangecrush Well-Known Member

First of all, welcome to the forum. Where in CA. are you from? I'm in Loma Linda in SoCal.

Just feed him the Soilent Green and continue with the care that you are giving him and he should be fine. Pristine water is the best medicine. You can dose salt up to 1Tablespoon per gallon and Melafix is good for injuries such as this.

Good luck and happy fishkeeping, Jim.

GoldandBeautiful likes this.
  3. GoldandBeautiful

GoldandBeautiful Member

I am from the Bay Area ,Silicon Valley.
    Goldfish owner since Dec :) A newbie and appreciate the help from experienced fish keepers. Will definitely keep up what we are doing and hopefully he will heal up.
    Thank you again for the response!! Sarah

4. joe

joe Well-Known Member

just keep him in very clean water he should recover

5. GoldandBeautiful

GoldandBeautiful Member

Thank you I will :)

6. GoldandBeautiful

GoldandBeautiful Member

7. joe

joe Well-Known Member

just watch that red area to see if fungus develops or it worsens. He is a lovely fish

8. GoldandBeautiful

GoldandBeautiful Member

I will So far it is very clean, it just looks painful. I will update with progress. Thank you I thought he was adorable ☺️

9. orangecrush

orangecrush Well-Known Member

It doesn't look that bad. It should heal up fine with lots of pristine water. Percy really is a pretty boy.

Good luck and happy fishkeeping, Jim.