Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

Adopted goldfish from pond to tank?

Discussion in 'Goldfish in the Pond' started by MojoJr312, Oct 8, 2017.

1. MojoJr312

MojoJr312 New Member

Hello all, before I start, I am new to this site and if this this thread is in the wrong section, thanks in advance to the admins who moved it for me. Anyway, Long story short, I rescued 4 goldfish from a university that was shutting their pond down. They are pretty big, the smallest is maybe 7 inches and the largest is close to a foot. I put them in my (sad excuse for a) small pond where they are now. I plan on moving hopefully at least one to my 55g tank for the winter (I am worried my pond isnt quite deep enough for them). I would like to keep the big white one in the tank, as it would look pretty cool with the black substrate and my LEDs. Is he too big for the tank? My filtration should be good (penn plax cascade 100), but I am also worried about feeding him. I was told that youre not supposed to feed them in the winter when they are in a pond, but does is this seasonal or does it have to do with water temp? If he does go into the tank, do i feed him throughout the winter or no? The tank is cycling now (using Ci's wonderful guide), so it should be ready to go before the pond freezes over (I hope).
    I am definitely no goldfish expert, so please help! I don't want my big beauties to die..
    Thanks! Johnny

Liamd likes this.
  2. J.H.

J.H. Member

If he is in the tank, you can feed him regularly. The only reason to feed less is because their metabolism goes down when it gets cold. As for if/how many to put in the tank, it depends on filtration, waterchange frequency and personal preference. In my opinion, it is better to have them squashed for a little while then die because the pond is too shallow. If the one that is close to a foot was measured with its fins (not just body length), it will be happy in a 55. The tank is 13 inches wide on the inside, and the goldfish itself is probably about 7 inches long - a little tight, but it should be fine. Also, when guessing the size of a fish in a pond, I always guess that it is smaller than it is, and when guessing the size in a tank, I always guess bigger, so don't be surprised if the fish seem to get a lot bigger when they get in the tank :)

3. shakaho

shakaho Well-Known Member

Would you show us a picture of the little pond you have now and give it's volume? After checking on your winter temperatures, until you get a larger pond, you will need to bring them indoors. Goldfish can live comfortably under ice, but they need a hole in the ice for gas exchange and need a cover to keep out snow/sleet/freezing rain which can lower the temperature of the water to freezing. Your 55 gallon tank is pretty small for 4 mature goldfish.

If you get a stock tank like this one, you have plenty of room for four goldfish. If you have some indoor space for it, including basement, enclosed porch, or garage you can have an indoor pond for your fish during the winter that becomes an outdoor pond in the spring. With a cover and a tank heater, you can keep them outside year around.

If you put a mature pond goldfish in an aquarium, particularly by itself, you will have a terrified fish which has never seen transparent pond walls and may keep bumping into the glass in confusion. At the very least, you should drape the back and sides of the aquarium with towels to make it more like a pond.

4. MojoJr312

MojoJr312 New Member

Thanks you guys, I think I will put two of them in the tank for at least the winter (If I like how it looks I may put one back and keep one in the tank the rest of the year).

5. SantaMonicaHelp

SantaMonicaHelp Active Member

Let us know how that goes, and do share some pics if possible. It sounds like the little rescues are in good hands.

-Kamran

6. shakaho

shakaho Well-Known Member

So what will you do with the other two?

7. MojoJr312

MojoJr312 New Member

They will probably stay in the pond. The deepest area is almost 30" so I am confident that they will be fine for the winter. I was just worried the deep space wasnt big enough for the 4 fish.

8. SantaMonicaHelp

SantaMonicaHelp Active Member

Well, it seems like you've done all you could do for the time being. I'll keep my fingers crossed for your fish; hopefully the two you removed will make all the difference.

-Kamran