Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

55 gallon tank swap out

Discussion in 'Goldfish Conversation' started by Justintime, Nov 3, 2017.

1. Justintime

Justintime Active Member

367B0864-CDF7-4349-AE2C-5D1D7B42E0CF.jpeg so I have had my dads old 55 gallon tank for years now it was high tech in the 80’s drilled with two canister filters pulling through an under gravel filter,nice lights n hood and all plumbing still working so I am changing my fish over to his old tank I bought a marineland c220 , sun sun 303b w/uv light a finnex planted plus 24/7 light two glass 24” lids and am considering getting an under gravel filter and running it like he did just with new equipment, I have also been soaking a lot of rocks for substrate that I have collected just because I think they will really look good in there , if I put my old tank water in buckets and scoop the substrate out of my 36 gallon will the bacteria survive the move or will I be starting my cycle almost over again I have the marineland running on the 36 so it gets seeded along with a aqua clear 70 which will be going on the 55 gallon until it’s fully cycled but I have got to do this with 4 small fish it would have been 3 but I got a baby ranchu for my birthday and now I am way over stocked the fish are doing great and the water is really clean and test 0 ammonia 0 nitrite 5 nitrate and I will be doing another water change before I get the 55 completely ready but any one have any good information for me the 55 is going where the 36 is and the 36 is taking the place of my girlfriends tropicals tank

2. shakaho

shakaho Well-Known Member

All you have to do to cycle the 55 is move your existing filter(s) into the tank along with the new filter. All the nitrifiers needed to use the ammonia your fish produce are in your established filter.

Used water won't help at all. Nitrifiers live on surfaces. You may move some nitrifiers with the substrate even if you wash it well, but you don't need them.

I've never used an under gravel filter, but I've heard many people who have done so and find them unsuitable for goldfish.

3. Justintime

Justintime Active Member

Yea I was tossing the idea around in my head because all the plumbing is ready too rock n roll and it’s an awesome idea how he built it but he kept angle fish and tropicals in there or it may have been his discus tank can’t remember , i know my filter holds a lot of my tanks bacteria but so does your substrate if you have any and i want as much to survive as possible and I’m soaking the new rocks in tap water to clean them and the substrate will be going into a bucket with the old tank water when I swap tanks

4. Justintime

Justintime Active Member

Swapping out tanks now

5. Justintime

Justintime Active Member

The fish have been in the 55gal for alittle better than an hour and are loving it but the seachem Flourite is making the water cloudy

6. Justintime

Justintime Active Member

7. Justintime

Justintime Active Member

Second day and thy are loving life