Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

100% Water Change Question

Discussion in 'American Ranchu Society' started by MadMensch, Jul 5, 2017.

1. MadMensch

MadMensch New Member

Hi all,

I have been researching traditional Japanese TVR grooming and am very interested in setting up a second tub in my courtyard for 100% water change purposes. Right now I have a 108g Laguna tub set up as a pond with a filter with no fish in it. I'm thinking of obviously removing the filter, dumping half the water, adding an air stone, and doing the same for the second tub.

My question is regarding water changes, what is the traditional Japanese way of conditioning or prepping the water? I live inland in Southern California and the tap water quality is not very good; high Ph, presences of toxins, etc. I don't mind prepping with a water conditioner but wanted to find out if there is a better method?

Thanks in advance

2. shakaho

shakaho Well-Known Member

Please, tell us exactly what is wrong with your tap water.

What is the pH?
    Ammonia?
    Nitrate?
    What toxins are present?
    Is this well or municipal water? If you have municipal water, you should be able to get detailed information from the water company.

3. OC Ranchu

OC Ranchu Active Member

I'm working on a setup like this now but using traditional hand built ponds. You can see the progress on my Instagram page. Typically the water in the empty pond is allowed to sit with air running for the five to seven days that its empty. Depending on the stocking of your ponds.
    During that time you can see if your levels get better or if the water needed to be treated. You could run a test buy putting some water outside in a cheap plastic wally-world tote with an air stone in it for a week and see what the levels look like.
    For some of the best information around see Jeff's blog page.
    http://ranchunotes.blogspot.com/

4. orangecrush

orangecrush Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum. I'm from Loma Linda, what part of inland SoCal are you from?

Jim.

5. csoth1

csoth1 Well-Known Member

I do 100% daily changes on our TVR with two tubs by moving the fish to the new tub (that I filled the previous day) and then emptying the tub they were in filling it and dosing it with Seachem Safe. I run a sponge filter in each tub and only move the fish.

Imke likes this.
  6. Revjim_2

Revjim_2 New Member

Do you float the fish in a container, do a drip etc. before adding them to the new tub?